VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu

Rate this question

scottC

Question

Due to the respiratory conditions being combined I may only end up with 60%. I work at the VA as a police officer. The employee Doc probably will not pass me on my physcal due to COPD and Asthma. Which are service connected. Is there any chance of TDIU??

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Yes-

my neighbor recently had the same situation-

VA awarded him for a inservice back injury which prevented him from fully doing his job at the VA.

If I were you- and if you have to retire from the VA due to this disability- due to medical evidence -such as if the VA doctor says you cannot continue the job make sure -if you have FERS Benefits , that you start the process for any potential disability benefits thru FERS, and then apply formally for TDIU. I will attach the TDIU form.

Also apply for SSA too (I think the FERS stuff requires a SSA application)

FERS has a web site for these types of federal employee claims.

The VA is supposed to see if you can perform any other type of job there-that would not involve your disability .John 999 here might know much better on this then I do-

My neighbor's work background all involved heavy equipment etc and his back disability precluded even that type of VA work.

The TDIU application is only valid if a vet is not employed (or employed at wages below the poverty level)

so it would be good to file it and even attach the VA doc's medical statement to it, as soon as you retire due to this disability (assuming the VA will want you to retire)

TDIU_form.pdf

Yes-

my neighbor recently had the same situation-

VA awarded him for a inservice back injury which prevented him from fully doing his job at the VA.

If I were you- and if you have to retire from the VA due to this disability- due to medical evidence -such as if the VA doctor says you cannot continue the job make sure -if you have FERS Benefits , that you start the process for any potential disability benefits thru FERS, and then apply formally for TDIU. I will attach the TDIU form.

Also apply for SSA too (I think the FERS stuff requires a SSA application)

FERS has a web site for these types of federal employee claims.

The VA is supposed to see if you can perform any other type of job there-that would not involve your disability .John 999 here might know much better on this then I do-

My neighbor's work background all involved heavy equipment etc and his back disability precluded even that type of VA work.

The TDIU application is only valid if a vet is not employed (or employed at wages below the poverty level)

so it would be good to file it and even attach the VA doc's medical statement to it, as soon as you retire due to this disability (assuming the VA will want you to retire)

Thanks,

Well

Thanks,

Well hopefully they will put astma with copd and rate my sleep apnea seperate. Then i will be over 70 but we will see. I will follow your advice though. Thanks for the info

Scott- it doesnt matter what SC rating a vet has - if their SC prevents them from working they should file for TDIU.

Usually only 70% SC triggers the VA to send the TDIU form out to a vet.

Even vet reps will often tell a vet that they cannot apply for TDIU until they are 70%.

It isnt true.The DAV told my husband that (30% SC for PTSD)but we filed TDIU anyhow-3 years after his death they finally awarded 100% P & T.

I had a vet with no VA SC at all and sent him the TDIU form. I knew he had probative private med recs and he had a nexus.I told him to attach his med recs to the TDIU form.

In 4 months he got TDIU from the VA. Figure that- maybe it pays in the long run to have a private shrink.

Edited by Berta

I just got a Medical Retirement from the VA via OPM. Contact HR and request the forms. This is an easy form to fill out. If Employee Health states that you can no longer perform the duties of your PD and a position is not available then you can get the Medical Retirement. You will get 60% of your high 3 years for a year then 40% until you reach retirement age. You will be able to make up to 80% of your current salary without loosing your retirement. VA compensation is not considered income.