VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Requesting A Copy Of My "c File"

Rate this question

John Purser

Question

I've decided to pursue my own claim for disability. I'm using this site as my main guide. I've read about the importance of reviewing my "C file" or "VA Claims File". I've got a copy of form VA 3288 but I have a few questions on filling it out.

1) What am I asking for? A "C File"? A "Claims File"? Will they know what I'm talking about?

2) Where do I send this? My local VBA office in Seattle?

3) The specific recommendation said to review my file at the VBA office, make corrections and additions, THEN ask for a copy. I'm starting off with a copy because my disability is back pain which prevents me from sitting up for extended periods. I get about a half hour to an hour at a desk then I'm shot. Is it reasonable to get a copy first, find errors and missing material, and then submit corrections?

Sorry for having to ask such basic questions but I'm not finding the answers readily and mistakes have already cost me a couple of years of disability payments. I can't afford any more ignorance!

Thanks,

John Purser

Gosh I just got the CD C-File and it was a nightmare. I see tons of copies of records every where. Another Vet's educational loan info from 1990 as well as his SSAN. Another vet's patient information from a local MD in my area. No wonder my claims are being denied they can not find stuff or even research the files as well as other peoples personal information.

On 7/22/2008 at 6:01 PM, rentalguy1 said:

1. you are asking for a complete copy of everything contained within your cliams file. If you say C-file, they will know what you are talking about.

2. Send it to your local VBA Regional Office.

3. It is better to get a copy for yourself, and then look it over without a VA employee standing over your shoulder and rushing you. In addition to that, you can send in any missing documents via certified mail/return receipt requested, and be sure that it was received.

4. More information on this topic here.

5. This thread reminded me that I need to get a copy of my own c-file, now that my claims have been decided.

Okay, I printed the VA Form 3288 and will specifically request Everything in the C-File; or the whole nine yards. My problem is after my denial was received the Legion Rep. refused to communicate with me anymore, and since I filed the claim by myself no one really wants to help. I used to get NSC pension before SSDI and a Naval Hospital treated me for "adjustment disorder with signs of stress" and prescribed Buspar medication; I was also recommended for a medical review board for administrative separation. I did not get a medical board hearing after 3.5 years active duty; I was retained in the service for thirteen additional months with my ordnance certification revoked due to documented anger issues/problems and given a lesser menial job just for harassment. Naval hospital records although showing adjustment disorder with signs of stress, and medication (Buspar) prescried may indicate a personality disorder as a way to separate me administratively without benefits; so I refused an article 13 captains mast which I demanded courts martial and they refused. However on the NAS JAX Hospital it says clearly "DNEPTE" meaning did not exist prior to entry. So how can I be denied adjustment dx with signs of stress, because they were pissed off I wouldn't take an OTH so the "system" marked my hospital record with personality disorder and immediate seperation. The seperation took 13 months and I received an Honorable discharge with a RE-4. Question should "DNEPTE" overide the asinine rubberstamp of personality disorder? I only have about 5 months to appeal or ask for reconsideration before my year is up. What should I do?

VA Form 3288

What did you actually claim,,,,,,,,,,,'adjustment disorder ?

If so, you are not locked into the PTSD 2010 regulation cage.

Meaning you are not prevented from getting an IMO to support your actual diagnosis and to rule out the Personality disorder bull crap.

I hope by now your have gotten your complete 201 Military Personnel file as well as your SMRs.

I found your last post:

I have not gone through it all yet, but vets can lock themselves into a sure fire denial when they claim PTSD sometimes...

What was the depression in the SSDI award based on?

How exactly did you word the claim?

Too many questions....we can help more if we can read VA's actual words in their denial.

A reconsideration request will NOT stop the NOD clock.

They could have made a CUE in the last decision. That would possibly stop the NOD clock, if you can prove they did, in time.

We cant tell until we see what VA stated.

Edited by Berta

John, welcome! Youll find countless vets here willing to guide you and help in your pursuit of a claim. I also personally have requsted in writing to my local Regional Office for a sit down and review of my entire C-File..It will be at that time that i ask for a copy of that file.

As far as what you should first..Im going to let the Moderators, Elders or other Vets chime in on that..Once again, Welcome..Regards, William

• HadIt.com Elder

1. you are asking for a complete copy of everything contained within your cliams file. If you say C-file, they will know what you are talking about.

2. Send it to your local VBA Regional Office.

3. It is better to get a copy for yourself, and then look it over without a VA employee standing over your shoulder and rushing you. In addition to that, you can send in any missing documents via certified mail/return receipt requested, and be sure that it was received.

4. More information on this topic here.

5. This thread reminded me that I need to get a copy of my own c-file, now that my claims have been decided.