VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Requesting A Copy Of My "c File"

Rate this question

John Purser

Question

I've decided to pursue my own claim for disability. I'm using this site as my main guide. I've read about the importance of reviewing my "C file" or "VA Claims File". I've got a copy of form VA 3288 but I have a few questions on filling it out.

1) What am I asking for? A "C File"? A "Claims File"? Will they know what I'm talking about?

2) Where do I send this? My local VBA office in Seattle?

3) The specific recommendation said to review my file at the VBA office, make corrections and additions, THEN ask for a copy. I'm starting off with a copy because my disability is back pain which prevents me from sitting up for extended periods. I get about a half hour to an hour at a desk then I'm shot. Is it reasonable to get a copy first, find errors and missing material, and then submit corrections?

Sorry for having to ask such basic questions but I'm not finding the answers readily and mistakes have already cost me a couple of years of disability payments. I can't afford any more ignorance!

Thanks,

John Purser

• HadIt.com Elder

JOHN:

Why not go to your VARO and review your file. You can ask for copies of anything that sticks out.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder
JOHN:

Why not go to your VARO and review your file. You can ask for copies of anything that sticks out.

Good Luck

Pete, I think he was saying that he was having a bear of a time just sitting for any length of time. If that is the case, then I can understand his reluctance in sitting down at the VA Regional Office and going through his C-file. That is something that you want to be able to take your time, not feel rushed about, whether it is bacause of some antsy VA employee or the feeling that your time is limited due to your disability. But, then, on the other hand, if it's gonna take them 7 freakin months just to get him a copy......sheeeesh. But, then, now that I think about it, it took Waco LONGER than that to send me out my first copy.

Oy Vey!

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, if they provide you a copy like they provided ME a copy...........well, I'll give you an indication of what size my C-file was. It cost the gubbermint $18.70 just in postage to mail it to me. Then, of course, somebody at the VA has a VERY sick mind, for they went through my C-file and, seriously, turned OVER ever OTHER page, and, NO, it wasn't the copy machine that did this, THEN they seperated EACH set of pages (say, for example, a C&P report that consisted of 6 pages) by placing ANOTHER set of pages (say, for example, a VONAPPS claim) in BETWEEN the first 3 pages of the C&P and the last 3 pages........except they THEN divided up the 18 pages of THE VONAPPS claim.........yada, yada, ad nauseum! It only took me TWO WEEKS to get it where I could even begin to READ IT!

A bunch of SICK PUPPIES, I tell ya.