Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Personality Disorder Dd214 & The Border Patrol

Air Force Loco
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Dear friends.

I crossed paths with a leutant and he didnt like it so he took me to the psych in panama canal. "Gorgas" ended up with 3 different diagnosis. I hired a Air Force lawyer and he mentioned my concerns about these claims. The leutanant was furius and went to the top and recieve permission by the base commander with a signiture to discharge me. The discharge came about as honorable but not under general but with a personality disorder. Will this slim down my chances to not making it in as a border patrol agent?

Really need an answer. I assume no but I would like to hear each persons true stories.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Dear friends.

I crossed paths with a leutant and he didnt like it so he took me to the psych in panama canal. "Gorgas" ended up with 3 different diagnosis. I hired a Air Force lawyer and he mentioned my concerns about these claims. The leutanant was furius and went to the top and recieve permission by the base commander with a signiture to discharge me. The discharge came about as honorable but not under general but with a personality disorder. Will this slim down my chances to not making it in as a border patrol agent?

Really need an answer. I assume no but I would like to hear each persons true stories.

I can not answer for your particular case, it may depend on what the other mentioned diagnosis's were. Have you had a IMO on the outside concerning your PD diagnosis? You may only learn the answer if you make your application, law inforcement have psych evaluations as part of their application process, at least those I am acquainted with. Job history since getting out and recommendations from past employers or prominent people in the community, will help considerably.

Personaly, I don't think a PD is a bar from a job in Law Enforcement, but if you had brig time while in-service, they may consider the circomstances that got you put in the brig. Just because the service found you unsuitabe for further service doesn't mean you are not suited for a civilain job, even one in law inforcement.

You won't know for sure until you try, if you don't get in, then it would well be for other reasons. If you don't get in, try to find out why, you may have other discrepancies that you could improve on for next time, if you are really serious in becoming a Border Patrol Officer.

Like I said, go ahead an try it, you'll never know for sure unless you do. Everyones PD is in someways different from others and more severe and/or debilitating than others.

a.k.a. Jim B)

Air Force,

Welcome.

You would more likely than not need to locate and study the

requirements to become a Border Patrol Agent.

We don't really have Border Partol Agent Information here.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you have other discipline problems to justify a PD discharge? Usually, the vet had gotten into some kind of trouble and then because the military is looking to avoid the expense of court martial more discipline they offer a discharge. I don't think I ever heard of a person being discharge just because someone says they have a PD, unless their is a deficiency in work or discipline problem or the person is obviously mentally ill and the military wants to avoid paying a medical pension.

Did you have other discipline problems to justify a PD discharge? Usually, the vet had gotten into some kind of trouble and then because the military is looking to avoid the expense of court martial more discipline they offer a discharge. I don't think I ever heard of a person being discharge just because someone says they have a PD, unless their is a deficiency in work or discipline problem or the person is obviously mentally ill and the military wants to avoid paying a medical pension.

Re: "Usually, the vet had gotten into some kind of trouble and then because the military is looking to avoid the expense of court martial more discipline they offer a discharge."

I don't know what the circumstances were for the vet who started this thread, but the comment you posted above is 100 percent accurate. Three soldiers from my battalion were put out under these circumstances during Desert Storm. They were lucky they weren't tried by court martial.

On the other hand, I was never asked for my DD 214 after I left the Army; I wonder if that is a job requirement in this case...

Ron

BORDER PATROL AGENT

Must be a U.S. citizen. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) also has requirements that apply to all applicants other than current CBP employees. If you are not a current CBP employee, CBP requires that for the three (3) years prior to filing an application for employment, individuals must meet one or more of the following criteria:

Applicant resided in the United States or its protectorates or territories (short trips abroad, such as vacations, will not necessarily disqualify an applicant.)
Applicant worked for the U.S. government as an employee overseas in a federal or military capacity.
Applicant was a dependent of a U.S. federal or military employee serving overseas.
Must possess a valid state driver’s license at the time of appointment.
Must be under age 40 to register for the written test. This position is covered under law enforcement retirement provisions. Therefore, candidates must be referred for selection prior to their 40th birthday unless they presently serve or have previously served in a position covered by federal civilian law enforcement retirement.
Pre-employment Requirements consist of a thorough background investigation, medical examination, fitness test, and drug test. If your background includes past or present arrests, convictions, dismissals from previous jobs, debts and financial issues, excessive use of alcohol, use of illegal drugs, and/or the sale and distribution of illegal drugs, you may not pass the pre-employment requirements for this position. You may also be subject to a polygraph examination.
------------------------------------------

What is your SPN code on the old DD214.

That is the one that they will look at.

J

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>