VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Your C File--getting Copies

Rate this question

fanaticbooks

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I did a quick search and could not find any topic that covered this specifically. Pete53 mentions in his comments to others, "If you have not looked at your "C" (Claim)File located at VA Regional Office or gotten copies of it you could be spinning your wheels." It got me to thinking maybe a Topic should be broached to cover this specifically.

I am a secretary that has created a website www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com that does address this to a small extent. As a secretary, I realize I do not have real expert info on this, BUT some I do know and would welcome all experts to input their knowledge about this. Of course correct me if I have some info wrong. I will try to stick to just basics.

Under the Freedom of Information Act, you are entitled to get copies of your VA file (C File). By getting these records, you see what the VA is using to process your claim(s).

You can request certain items or the entire File from military to medical.

Send a letter signed by the veteran requesting the information wanted using the Freedom of Information Act in the letter. Write FOIA on the outside envelope to expedite. (This info was told to me by an adjudicator who, before she retired, had been very good at her job for many many years.)

I hope this helps someone or tickles their memory to do it.

AND PLEASE, ANY EXPERTS JUMP IN HERE IF YOU CAN ENHANCE (or correct an error) THIS SITE! ;)

fanaticbooks

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
fanaticbooks,

Just a suggestion. Maybe you can add your website to your signature, so you don't have to put a plug for it on every thread.

How? I am not real good with computer stuff and this is only the second chat type site I have ever been on. I just started a week ago. I would gladly do something that isn't so obtrusive.

fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

fanaticbooks,

At the top of this page, click on "MY CONTROLS". Than on the left collum under "personal profile" choose "EDIT SIGNITURE".

In the box that comes up, you can enter your name & link to your web page.

Allan

• HadIt.com Elder
fanaticbooks,

At the top of this page, click on "MY CONTROLS". Than on the left collum under "personal profile" choose "EDIT SIGNITURE".

In the box that comes up, you can enter your name & link to your web page.

Allan

Thanks Allan. I will attempt it.

Angela -the C file doesn't include the medical records, they have to be requested separately from the VA.

I had the same problem here and waited 6 month after my request and Berta suggested I write my Senator or Congressman and request the again that way- I wrote a Hard letter towards the VA holding my SMR an C-file records hostage so that I may not defend my self in a DRO review and I had my C-file with in 3 weeks of sending the letter... But the way I was done I didn't mind saying it. It is important you get your hands on it for sure and specifically the entire C-file- VA/MR, SMR, I had quite a bit missing but there were VA Memos that they screwed up a good claim. Hope this helps.................../as much as INDY RO are hard Asses I got all my SMR except my Service Mental Health records

Edited by yoggie2

Berta,

I had no idea the medical records weren't part of the C-file. Can you educate me on what is in C-file then. I can't remember how I worded my request but maybe I left out something important?