VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Your C File--getting Copies

Rate this question

fanaticbooks

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I did a quick search and could not find any topic that covered this specifically. Pete53 mentions in his comments to others, "If you have not looked at your "C" (Claim)File located at VA Regional Office or gotten copies of it you could be spinning your wheels." It got me to thinking maybe a Topic should be broached to cover this specifically.

I am a secretary that has created a website www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com that does address this to a small extent. As a secretary, I realize I do not have real expert info on this, BUT some I do know and would welcome all experts to input their knowledge about this. Of course correct me if I have some info wrong. I will try to stick to just basics.

Under the Freedom of Information Act, you are entitled to get copies of your VA file (C File). By getting these records, you see what the VA is using to process your claim(s).

You can request certain items or the entire File from military to medical.

Send a letter signed by the veteran requesting the information wanted using the Freedom of Information Act in the letter. Write FOIA on the outside envelope to expedite. (This info was told to me by an adjudicator who, before she retired, had been very good at her job for many many years.)

I hope this helps someone or tickles their memory to do it.

AND PLEASE, ANY EXPERTS JUMP IN HERE IF YOU CAN ENHANCE (or correct an error) THIS SITE! ;)

fanaticbooks

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The C file is solely the Claims file-

any medical records in it would probably be those you sent yourself to support a claim.

The Records Access officer at the VAMC which treats you can obtain with your written request copies of all medical records you incurred via the VA-

SMRs- I got ,my husband's Navy SMRs from NARA web site with a SF 180- the VA has his Marine Corps SMRs-I have never seen them-

Good question raised here- will the VA, after they themselves obtain the SMRs -send them to the claimant with a direct request for them?

The SMRs seem to end up with the Clinical Med Recs but are not sent with them as far as I have ever seen.

I hope VA had them in my case- last time I saw them but didnt have time to read them at all was at Corning SSA office-

ALL medical records for my husband -even those the VA told me they had no record of from other VAMCS were there at the SSA.

By asking for a copy of your c-file they are not actually required to send you copies of you SMR's, but from what I have seen they just send you a copy of what they us of what they use to deny your claim (sarcasm) Request an entire copy of your C-file that would include all "Medical Evidence" and your entire "Service Medical Records" like I said the kicker is they don't have to give you the SMR's but I wrote my bureaucrat and they sent them all fast except for my Mental Health records....and thats a totally different madness. If you don't have them and you have a claim in and write to St Louis MO they will tell you more than likely tell they don't have them the were checked out by the VARO in your area(because you have a claim in) this why I mention the steps above... hope this helps,,,Rich

Edited by yoggie2

• HadIt.com Elder
I did a quick search and could not find any topic that covered this specifically. Pete53 mentions in his comments to others, "If you have not looked at your "C" (Claim)File located at VA Regional Office or gotten copies of it you could be spinning your wheels." It got me to thinking maybe a Topic should be broached to cover this specifically.

I am a secretary that has created a website www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com that does address this to a small extent. As a secretary, I realize I do not have real expert info on this, BUT some I do know and would welcome all experts to input their knowledge about this. Of course correct me if I have some info wrong. I will try to stick to just basics.

Under the Freedom of Information Act, you are entitled to get copies of your VA file (C File). By getting these records, you see what the VA is using to process your claim(s).

You can request certain items or the entire File from military to medical.

Send a letter signed by the veteran requesting the information wanted using the Freedom of Information Act in the letter. Write FOIA on the outside envelope to expedite. (This info was told to me by an adjudicator who, before she retired, had been very good at her job for many many years.)

I hope this helps someone or tickles their memory to do it.

AND PLEASE, ANY EXPERTS JUMP IN HERE IF YOU CAN ENHANCE (or correct an error) THIS SITE! ;)

fanaticbooks

Thanks everyone for jumping in with great info. Hopefully this is going to help others.