VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Dc 7346 And 7203 Gerd

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

GERD under DC 7346

30 percent evaluation is

warranted for persistently recurrent epigastric distress with

dysphagia, pyrosis and regurgitation, accompanied by

substernal or arm or shoulder pain which is productive of

considerable impairment of healthh

I have all of the above. I do get a substernal pain in which I've gone to the ER twice because I thought it was a heart attack but after testing and EKG, Stress test it was said to been the GERD. I've learned the pain and do not make an appointment when this happens

the GERD has also gone to Barretts Eshpogus. But their statement means the pain is an "considerable impairment of health or do they mean GERD as a condition.......because GERD does keep me from wearing my CPAP.

Also The Code 7203 provides a 30 percent evaluation for moderate stricture of the esophagus.

I do have a stricture and steonosis (spelling) narrowing of my esphogus and several complaints of difficulty swallowing

but do I need to ask for this to be also rated under this code 7203?

This was someones decision who was approved at 30 percent for the 7203 code.

veteran's GERD is rated as analogous to stricture of the

esophagus because his main symptom has been described by

medical professionals as a feeling of food being "stuck" in

his throat.

I understand this is only one rating of 30 percent but just incase someone trys to take something more bases covered.

Also, I did put in for a increase of GERD from the 10 percent to 30. I told them that my GERD also keeps me from wearing my CPAP for the OSA, however, OSA is not S.C. for now. The VA said send the info and they would look at making OSA Secondary to GERD. Is that okay? I do have SMR entries about sleep problems, recommend sleep study and sleep apnea 2 degrees....but no sleep study during active duty......would it mater how they put the osa be it secondary to GERD or on it's own? My intentions were to subbmit OSA and GERD on their own but I did say in a letter how the GERD affected my ability to wear the CPAP.

Thanks much,

Y#5

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

"My intentions were to subbmit OSA and GERD on their own but I did say in a letter how the GERD affected my ability to wear the CPAP"

That is a significant fact they should not overlook.

Have you formally claimed the Barrett's?

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files2/0814517.txt

I dont have time to read this whole case- but I am assuming that- if they cannot make separate award for Barrett's (as it is most likely secondary to the GERD but a doctor would have to say that)

they certainly would have to consider it in the overall GERD rating.

Yes ma'am,

I was submitting my increase for GERD but thought I should let me know about my OSA that I will claim shortly and increase on HBP.

I understand that Barrett's Esphogus is under GERD but was kind of asking if Barrett's Esphogus would be what they consider one of the

"considerable Health impairments".

I also have a stricture and stenoasis of the Esphogus I have not asked to be rated but that one falls under

DC 7203 and seems to be automatic 30 percent. Under DC 7242 I meet the 30percent level except I guess for

"accompanied by substernal or arm or shoulder pain which is productive of considerable impairment of health" I do get that

pain in my chest and my PCM told me it was GERD related but is that a "considerable impairment of health" alone

or will it have to stop me from doing something.

I can only do one thing at a time and was trying to ensure I get my GERD to 30 perent either way. Then I was going to do my OSA claim

which should stand on it's own but also go into how my GERD affects wearing my CPAP for the OSA.......and that is bumping up my bp. I see

my sleep doctor next week and hopfully I can get him to write something but I do not think he will.