VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

1st Denial From Ssd

Rate this question

pebbles

Question

I am writing not sure what to do now, I just got my first denial from ss stating that my condition is not severe enough to keep me from working. I am 100% PTSD with depressive features from the VA it was awarded in 2006 backdated till 2004. It has been marked as total service-connected disablity, permanent in nature never to be reviewed. I was award this due to a sexual assualt that happened while in the military. I have a outside dr that will state that I am unable to work and I have not worked in over a year. I filed a 2nd appeal but just am stunned that I was denied it took me 10 years to get a 100% rating and just to get the Va to admit that I was sexually assualted. I wrote my senator and congressman to help me with my last claim with the VA. where do I go now and what happens on the 2nd appeal.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

Appeal the decision be sure and cite yout VA Disability and provide a copy of award letter. You really should have no problems if its for same diagnosis that you are claiming.

It may be worth it to you to hire a Social Security Lawyer to handle your claim.

Good Luck

Welcome to Hadit.

Appeal the decision be sure and cite yout VA Disability and provide a copy of award letter. You really should have no problems if its for same diagnosis that you are claiming.

It may be worth it to you to hire a Social Security Lawyer to handle your claim.

Good Luck

As usual, Pete is giving you good advice. Hire a lawyer or someone like Allsup to represent you. You will only have to pay them if you win. I got mine in 10 weeks using Allsup and it was based mainly on PTSD. A company like Allsup will review your information for free and will only take your case if they are almost certain you can win since they are investing their resources for nothing if you don't win.

pebbles,

Welcome to HADIT and thank you for your service.

It's almost an un written rule for SSA to deny all initial

claims for benefits. I agree with others, obtain legal

representation and file an appeal, cross your fingers

that it is granted as Fully Favorable on the second go

around. If not, keep arguing for a grant and then your

claim for SSD will more likely than not, have a Hearing before

an Administrative Law Judge. This does not mean you would

have to personally attend the Hearing, in my case I did not

have to attend, my lawyer took care of my claim from there.

You posted,

"It has been marked as total service-connected disablity, permanent in nature never to be reviewed. "

If this were my claim I would totally NOT believe the above statement.

I would continue with any therapy available to:

1) receive Mental Health Care

2) document continuity of care

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlie and Oete are correct. I am also P and T with no future exams scheduled, But I expect to be reexamined at some point.

Now for your SSD denial. The first denial is usually done by your states DDS.

They issue a denial and have a Doctor to review it. Most mistakes are made at this level.

You should file a forkm called a request for reconsideration, This is the first step to an appeal.

Make sure they know the VA decision on your part. ( Send them a copy of the award letter.

Also, get an attorney. It seems better if you getone. Since the SSA employs attorneys and if you dont have one, They can take advantage of you.

Good Luck

J

I used Allsup from the start of my claim. I was denied twice. The third time, a Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) just read the claim and granted it. Cost me $5300.00 (taken out of your first check) to Allsup. It would have been worth twice as much as they did all the work and got all evidence. Good luck.