VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

30 Days Is Now The Controlled Response Period For A Claimant To Submit Information

Rate this question

allan

Question

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Allan,

You gotta be kidding! Here's an example why this is ridiculous - they send me a letter that was dated days before they mailed it out and at least a week before I got it so there goes one week, requesting treatment reports from a shrink I saw over a decade ago. I call up the practice and said shrink is on vacation for a week - that's 2 weeks off the 30 day clock. She gets back but doesn't return my now daily phone calls because she's catching up from being on vacation and since I am a former client she devotes the early part of her week to current clients and doesn't call back until the end of week two. My treatment reports are in off site archives and they only get copies done once a week, which takes us to week 3. Shrink wants to review them before sending them, there's another week 4 and now it is a scramble because she can't get them to me in time for me to get them to the VA within the 30 day deadline.

No evidence w/in 30 days, no disability claim.

This is not reasonable. My local doctor has his treatment reports copied by a service that only comes once a week so again, depending on when the VA writes the letter, mails the letter, you get the letter, and request your treatment reports, you could have already burned up several weeks of a very short clock.

Of course, the VA can take upwards of 4 years to adjudicate your claim properly but you have to turn and burn in 30 days?!??!?! Give me a break. It took me months to get my IMO completed.

Thanks for the head's up.

Just a suggestion: would you consider using a larger font? I wear bifocals and the tiny letters are really hard to read.

Thanks again for posting this,

TS Snave

I was told at my VARO that the shorter time is to facilitate a quicker turn-around for claims.

I wish Ricky was online now; he could lead the laughter.

:P :lol: <_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

Ron

• HadIt.com Elder

Many claims will not be processed due to this.

TS,

you can increase your font viewing size by clicking on "VIEW" up next to "FILE" at the top of the page. Choose "text" than what ever size is comfortable for you.

Another way to increase the text is down on the left next to where the box says "ENGLISH", theres a box that says "IP Board" or "Patriot Games". If you click on it, theres another setting that says, "larger text".

If that doesn't get it for you, you can, click on the bottom right of the page where it says 100% and blow the whole page up closer.

Allan,

I agree that there will be more claims not properly rated without an appeal due to this change.

Thanks for the techno advice. Oddly enough, this post was in a readable size font for me but the first one shows up as very tiny.

Thanks for keeping us posted on these changes,

TS

• HadIt.com Elder

This shouldn't be that big of a deal to you guys. Before you file a claim, you should already know what evidence is needed to win. If you already know what you need to turn in, then you should have already obtained the evidence and sent in a copy of it. You wouldn't put together a desk, or hook up a computer without reading the directions first. So why would you file a claim with the VA before finding out what it would take to win? Just do your homework, gather all the evidence and send it in up front, and this 30 day rule won't mean squat to you.

Rental,

What you say is accurate for me today but it was not when I submitted my VA claim. I didn't know anything then and depended on the VA phone folks to help me out (YIKES!!). They got tired of my incessant calls and told me to get a service rep, which I hadn't done because I thought that would look advesarial on my part.

Luckily I found hadit and vawatchdog.org, got a VBM, and realized I was in a legal battle with a not so kindly uncle.

My major concern is for all the vets and widows out there who are as trusting and naive as I was and will get slaughtered by this new rule. I suspect the VA will say that this will help speed up processing times and if you don't know the game you may believe it. They ought to issue a VBM to every soldier when he leaves service.

However, I am also concerned about the 30 day rule for vets that are informed. My local doctor's office has a service that copies treatment reports and they have to be signed off by the doc. Depending on mail delays, doc delays, and how you're coping with your disability, the 30 days could get burnt up real quick.

Plus, we are dealing with vets who have disabilities. I am spun half the time either depressed or manic so there are weeks when I would not be able to function well enough to meet the 30 day window. What about the guys and gals with TBI and memory issues? Or other disabilities that simply make it so you are not on top of your game and functioning well enough for enough days together to get your act together and comply with a VA request in 30 days? There seems to be no grace for the "disabled" part of "disabled veteran".

Well, I'll get off my soapbox. We all have to be as vigilent as we can be with our claims and in helping others with their claims.

Thanks,

TS