VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

**********please Help*********************

Rate this question

SSGmajik

Question

I am new to this please bare with me. I know I posted this message once, but I am trying to find some more help. I am currently service connected at 50% for a multiple of spinal conditions I will list below. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. I am cuurently in for an increase, but have no idea if I will get one or not. My 50% is rated as 40% lower back mobility and 10% for neck mobility. I filed for an increase for everything below.

1.)Nerve damage in my lower back caused chronic radiating pain down through my right leg and foot; as a result, the muscles in these locations have deteriorated. Occasionally, I get the same pain in my left leg.

2.)Degenerative Disc Disease (Moderate to severe grade) has developed in both my cervical and lumbar levels of spine.

3.)Migraines that occur at least one every seven days due to the chronic pain and the difficulty to sleep. When I roll over at night, I experience intense radiating pain which contributes to the severity of the migraines.

4.)Spondylolisthesis/retrolisthesis (segmental instability) in my Lumbar and Cervical (Moderate to severe grade) spine has caused stiffness and pain, making it very difficult to move around.

5.)Scar from the microdiscectomy surgery approximately three inches in length and is sensitive to touch.

6.)Osteophytes and/or Bone-spurs in my Cervical and Lumbar spine (Moderate to severe grade) causing stiffness, pain, and risks further damage to the spine.

7.)Scoliosis also causes stiffness and pain.

8.)Bulging discs in my Cervical and Lumbar spine contributes to the severe radiating pain.

9.)Spinal Stenosis in my Cervical and Lumbar spine (Moderate to severe grade) which contributes to the severe radiating pain, stiffness, and numbness, in the right leg and foot.

10.)Facet arthropathy (Moderate to severe grade) in my Cervical and Lumbar spine and is contributing to the severe pain in my neck and lower back.

Thanks,

SSGmajik

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have had an EMG and it showed some nerve damage and loss of signal from my sciatic nerve in my right leg. I don't think I've had an NCS unless they used the EMG results. Thanks for all the advice. I've tried to get a lot of my info from VA Watchdog and it has helped me through the process so far.

SSGmajik

• HadIt.com Elder

You would remember an NCS. It is paingul as they stick needles into your musclwes to measure the latency of the nerve meylin.

It is a must for diagnosing radicuilpathy. A positive test is uprebutable.

J

Thanks jbasser! I will talk to my pain doc and see if I can get one done. Even if it is painful I want them to have undeniable evidence to show my radiculopathy is there. Do they take in account your meds when rating you? I take (6) 5mg percocets, (3) 800mg gabapentin,and (3) 800mg etolodac every day. Thanks again to all for their input.

SSGmajik

your max may be 60 percent and it may get you IU.

The only thing you can do to get an increase is to have the required amount of incapicitating episodes or DR prscrinbed bed rest or time off of your feet.

It can be done, but without that, It will be a long shot.

J

There's a "gotcha" here or so I found in my case. The only evidence of incapacitation the VA will accept is when a doctor orders bed rest for it. HOWEVER doctors don't order bed rest for back pain. So the only evidence the VA accepts requires you to have a doctor who's looking for a malpractice lawsuit. Cute huh?

If anyone knows of a way around this PLEASE post it and let me know.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

By-the-way, if you are in pain, then if you have not filed for "chronic pain syndrome" (a somatform disorder, rated under psych disorders), then you are missing one of your legitimate claims.