VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Taxes And Ssdi

Rate this question

jackba57

Question

i was wondering why i pay taxes out of my SS but my buddy in pennsylvania with SSDI and 100% just like me does not??

Whats the ruling here and how is it decided? Did i miss something?

jack

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

i don't pay taxes either...i recall they (the soc sec ppl) asked me if i wanted taxes taken out of my pay and i simply said "no" and that was it.

maybe all you need to do is call your local office and have them stop taking the taxes out, afterall, that income is non-taxable.

good luck.

I've been getting SS since Jan 08' and I don't think taxes have been taken out. I didn't think it applied to SS. Is this something that may come back and bite me in the rear? Uh oh, think it's time I give SSA a call.

Kappa

• HadIt.com Elder
I've been getting SS since Jan 08' and I don't think taxes have been taken out. I didn't think it applied to SS. Is this something that may come back and bite me in the rear? Uh oh, think it's time I give SSA a call.

Kappa

If you are getting Social Security, you will have to pay taxes on it depending on how much total you earn. Definitely check with your SS office. They can arrange to take out 10 percent to cover your federal taxes. Don't get caught with penalties because you did not pay estimated taxes throughout the year. Check with the IRS too to see what needs to be done.

I live in Oregon which does not tax SS so don't have to worry about the state side of taxes.

Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Your VA Income is not counted.

Your Social Security Income is counted and if you get over 32,000 in Social Security and other income besides VA you could have to pay.

Social Security is treated different but taxed after you reach a threshold.

When you throw in personal exemptions most of us will never have to worry about paying taxes again.

• HadIt.com Elder
i don't pay taxes either...i recall they (the soc sec ppl) asked me if i wanted taxes taken out of my pay and i simply said "no" and that was it.

maybe all you need to do is call your local office and have them stop taking the taxes out, afterall, that income is non-taxable.

good luck.

Maybe you need to call the IRS and see if THEY think "that was it". Simply saying "no" to the SSA won't quite cut it. I mean, after all, if someone were to ask me if I WANTED to pay taxes, I think I'd "simply say "no"" but.......I'd contact the people that really mattered, the ones that do the tax collecting and ask them if "that was it".

Social Security IS taxable.

Now, whether you have enough "personal deductions" and not any excessive income, whereby you would wind up NOT owing any taxes, that is a different subject. But, IF you do wind up owing taxes on your SS and have not paid any taxes in during the year...you WILL pay a penalty, trust me.....BTDT.

• HadIt.com Elder

It boils down to total household income. If you and your spouse make 35K per year then your SSD is taxable up to 80 percent.

If your Buddies and his wife was below that level, Then it may not be taxable.

There is an IRS worksheet for Social Security that can tell you the scenario but it is a bit complicated ans should be done by a professional tax preparer.

J