VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pain Medications

Rate this topic

I am allergic to morphine, demerol, dilaudid, oxycodone, methadone etc...I find i can take Tramadol a synthetic, but its barely strong enough to take the edge off. I have to have surgery on my prosthetic jaw soon and am wondering what else there is for pain relief after surg.

I have spinal fusion L3-S1 and have severe back pain all the time, any ideas about pain relief for that as well?

I also have carcinoid cancer which makes things even more difficult in pain management.

Looking forward to ideas!

Jack

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am allergic to morphine, demerol, dilaudid, oxycodone, methadone etc...I find i can take Tramadol a synthetic, but its barely strong enough to take the edge off. I have to have surgery on my prosthetic jaw soon and am wondering what else there is for pain relief after surg.

how about the heavy duty Oxycontin? Its synthetic. I take 3 80M a day form server pain, I have a fusion of S1 down wards I don't know what its called and IVDS, and sever foot pain and knees. it helps alright but very addictive but it comes in smaller doses than what I take.

The VA does not offer this medication, so you may have to take you medical records to a private doc and its a bit on the expensive side...

Edited by yoggie2

That wont work as I have carcinoid cancer also, once you get cancer of any kind, you will find that you are un-insurable....so once i stopped working because of the back pain and the side affects of the cancer, i lost my insurance. They dont care how much money you have, they will NOT insure you. So luckily I have the VA, just means I have to get ALL meds from the VA.

Thanks tho im going to ask my pain doc about it! :P

• HadIt.com Elder

You can probably increase the Tramadol dosage, and add a good muscle relaxer. A TENS unit may help with the back pain a bit, too. If you can get the back spasms to settle down a bit, everything else will feel a little better, too. I'll keep my eyes open for a good synthetic pain reliever for ya.

Good luck!

Tramadol is maxed out at 100mg every 6 hours. I take Valium with it for the muscle thing. Maybe a better muscle relaxer? The valium knocks me right on my butt. I have a tens unit...the pain is more where the fusions were done and feels more like something slipping and i get a sharp pain, very bad. muscles arent too bad at times but im sure a better muscle relaxer would help a lot.

TY!

Tramadol is maxed out at 100mg every 6 hours. I take Valium with it for the muscle thing. Maybe a better muscle relaxer? The valium knocks me right on my butt. I have a tens unit...the pain is more where the fusions were done and feels more like something slipping and i get a sharp pain, very bad. muscles arent too bad at times but im sure a better muscle relaxer would help a lot.

TY!

Jack if you receive SSD they will pay for the Oxycontin and its synthetic it may be your only hope. I walk around with a tens unit as well have 2 of them and have tried everything for years. If you don't mind me asking what kind of reaction to oxycodone do you have from these type of meds? I tried to get mine filled through the VA and my ex-Dr tried to call my Dr to make him stop and he works at the VA on weekend "The ER" and he prity much told the to screw off. I have take it all and it works get, but all I can say is if you get put on it ONLY take as perscribed. Its all poison and could kill you as anything else you take to much of...

Edited by yoggie2