VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Claim Decision Came Today And Po'd

Rate this question

JB3AFSP2

Question

My decision came today with both good and bad news. The good news is that they granted service connection for a "Fracture, left third and fourth metacarpals status post open reduction and internal fixation with scar". Of course, they couldn't deny that since I fell off of an obstacle during training and I had to have a metal plate and four screws put into my hand. So why am I infuriated? I got a big fat goose egg for my rating. They based it on range of motion and "Joint function is not additionally limited by pain, fatigue, weakness, lack of endurance, or incoordination after repetitive use." That is absolutely false. The Muskogee VA Regional Office is using a third party contractor to do the C & P exams. QTC out of San Antonio is their name and they contracted a civilian family practice doctor in Bixby, OK to do my exam. I specifically told him that I have significant muscle weakness in my left hand and frequent hand pain that comes and goes throughout the day especially during changes in weather. He tested me by having me squeeze his fingers and well, you've read what he put in his report. So, I'm enrolled in the VA until my combat veteran status expires in August 2009 afterwhich I'll be a Priority 8 veteran and I'll be disenrolled from the VA. I apparently make too much income to use what I've earned during almost 10 years of service to my country. Anybody else going to a contracted physician?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

just out of curiosity, what kind of work do you do?......asking because if you do any type of manual labor with your hands & it hasn't affected your work....maybe that is what is driving their decision.

also, have you been seeing a doc for your hand pain and issues on a regular basis since the surgery?

I supervise in a manufacturing plant. Occasionally I have to do manual labor to help out, but it's not part of my normal day to day responsibilities. I think you might be right about what was on their minds as they made their decision. The doctor did ask what kind of work I did. As far as treatment I haven't do anything since surgery. OTC pain relieve if necessary, otherwise I work through it.

• HadIt.com Elder
I supervise in a manufacturing plant. Occasionally I have to do manual labor to help out, but it's not part of my normal day to day responsibilities. I think you might be right about what was on their minds as they made their decision. The doctor did ask what kind of work I did. As far as treatment I haven't do anything since surgery. OTC pain relieve if necessary, otherwise I work through it.

"....otherwise I work through it."

And, therein lies your problem.

And, therein lies your solution.

By-the-way, from one Okie to another, HOWDY!

i think you just nailed the problems. one....it's not affecting your job at all (did you tell the doc this?) and two.....you haven't seen a doc for it at all since the surgery. the VA might look at these two things in a negative light. the VA likes to see medical records of an injury or illness causing the vet problems on a continuing basis and interfering in everyday life.

just my opinion though....

• HadIt.com Elder

You should get in the VA pain management program. You don't have to take the dope they give you but you need to complain about the pain and rate it high on the pain scale. If the disability is causing you mental or emotional grief you need to see a shrink and get help with the depression. You need to imbed yourself into the VA health care system for life.