VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just A Thought

Rate this topic

Guest Vietnam Tanker

I've quit taking my meds (psych meds) before because of side effects and bad interactions with my other meds. The VA mental health person prescribing them (an RN) never bothers to check interactions and neither does the pharmacy....so when I begin to get sick, I stop taking them.

I consider that to be self-preservation.

Check your med interactions free at www.drug.com I have been given 4 meds at the same time by the VA that had moderate to severe interactions and I almost checked out..... broke out in a rash..... I am convinced they don't check for interactions or maybe they do and ignore them.

Edited by danang_1969

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

;) Sounds familiar!! Been on Gabapentin since last September. I started small, and now take 1600mg daily. In that time, I have seen my Psych by TV numerous times, but never in person. I notified her about weight gain (225# to 290#) and swollen feet and legs. Social Worker seen it in person, and entered it in my records. Still no change. My yearly check-up was done by a Doctor who just started that day. I told her of the symptoms, and she said it happens only in rare cases. Quack, Quack.. I have moved to Alabama, and will see my new Psych next monday. Can't wait to see what he says. It will be a year next month, and they haven't changed it.

When I have bad side effects like that and my docs won't do anything...I take matters into my own hands. Call the pt advocate and make noise! Call department chiefs....find someone who will listen! Of course I've also been known to titrate down my own doses of meds....I don't recommend this for everyone and I only do this with meds I'm very familiar with.....never, ever, ever quit any meds cold turkey.....no, no, no.

Good luck....hope you feel better soon!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Where I've had the most problems was taking antidepressants.

Taking more than one can develop a toxic effect. Thats what it did for me. Taking Paxil while having bipolar, made me psychotic & suicidal.

Like you, I take around 30 pills + three different kind of inhalers per day.

I'm lucky now to have Dr's that are very sharp as to best regulate what i take and when to take it. I'm also blessed with a loving wife to make sure I get everything on time.

Keep your Dr's fully informed of the effcts. If they don't seem interested, get another one ASAP.

allan,

you said:

"Keep your Dr's fully informed of the effcts. If they don't seem interested, get another one ASAP"

I can't even get to see a real pdoc at the Dayton VAMC!....LOL!! Let alone get another one. That would be a luxury. I'm still trying to figure out how Dayton gets away with this....