VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Urinary Frequency Claim Denied

Rate this question

ddj6969

Question

Just received my decision and my claim was denied of course. In the denial they state that my claim was denied since the condition has not been shown to be caused by a diagnosed disability. I was treated for groin pain with urinary frequency in the service. I was seen by my Dr. for urinary frequency and by the VA Dr.

I was only filing for urinary frequency and was wondering how I should proceed with the NOD.

Thanks

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just a side note from 38 CFR 4.115b:

7527 Prostate gland injuries, infections, hypertrophy, post-operative residuals:

Rate as voiding dysfunction or urinary tract infection, whichever is

predominant.

Great posts guys... again it may say that you dont need a diagnosis, but you always do. Everyone who has filed several claims will tell you this. So really good job getting the diagnosis it is key.

I just wish more people understood this (sigh).

I think you have what you need at this point. Good job in getting it.

Just spoke to my Dr. who agrees with me that the urinary freq. is caused by chronic prostatitis. He is going to write a letter diagnosing me with chronic prostatitis which began in the service and still continues today. As a result of that I have urinary frequency.

Will this cover the diagnosed disability and symptom?

I also looked back over my VA exam notes and the VA urologist states I have chronic prostatitis.

Thanks for the great help!

The only other comment that I would make is if you have a copy of your SMR's have the doc look them over and indicate in his letter that he has reviewed your SMR's and based upon his XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (experience with patients who suffer from chronic prostatitis and (anything else he can justify his opinion with such as current accepted medical opinions and treatment etc....) it is his medical opinion that the frequency problems is due to your chronic prostatitis) There are several posts on Hadit about what IMO's should contain. If you follow them then you can rest knowing that you have provided the best claim possible no matter the outcome.

My Dr. emailed me a copy of the letter. We are going to meet later to get a hard copy. What do you guys think?

Patient, X, suffers a disability of chronic prostatitus. As a result of the disability of chronic prostatitus patient X has frequent urination and groin pain. After reviewing patient X military medical records it is clear that the chronic prostatitus began while patient X was in the USMC and the frequent urination and groin pain is due to the disability of chronic prostatitus.

Patient X was treated in Sep 98 and Nov 98 for complaints of groin pain and frequent urination. Patient X was diagnosed as having a groin strain. This was the beginning of his disability of chronic prostatitus. The chronic prostatitus and the resulting symptoms of frequent urination and groin pain have not stopped since their onset in 98.

The groin pain in patient X groin is constant, 2 on a 1-10 scale, but is tolerable most days. When the pain is more severe patient X takes an OTC anti-inflammatory which helps relieve the pain.

Patient X currently urinates every 1-2 hours during the day and awakens to urinate 4-5 times per night. Patient X frequent urination has increased to the current level since his last visit with me. The frequent urination is inconvenient but he has learned to live with it.