VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

Does anyone know if a SC'd respiratory dysfunction could aggravate obstructive sleep apnea allowing for a secondary claim? It would seem logical that a low oxygen level from any restrictive lung condition, ( atelectasis, COPD etc. ), would have some adverse effect on OSA. Any help appreciated.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

It is a good article. The problems I have had with getting sleep apnea approved are the nexus's. I have had a bunch of vets do the sleep studies, but the only real success Ive had repeatedly was with lung conditons, with apnea secondary... and sinus as well. Ive yet to get a PTSD apnea claim thru.

Anyone else had any other better results, maybe I am just missing something with this condition. I think its because so many things cause apnea, just heavy sedatives or pain meds for example...

Also, Anti-inflammatories and pain med's that relax your muscles.

I have sevre OSA but have not filed yet because I have not figured what came first. I googled OSA and causes and there are articles stating that those med's can cause OSA. In my case ther is a lot of those drugs in my SMR. Muscle relaxers, pain meds etc.... Check it out, I hope that helps. I have been on CPAP for 4 years and you need to make sure that your mask fit correctly of it will not help you.

This can kill so be serious. This is what killed Reggie White!

This is serious, it seems that VA is hoping that you die first.

I got out the Marine Corps in 1987------I have a copy of my smr and was shocked that at my exit physicial --I noted that I had frequent trouble sleeping--was acknowledged and signed by Navy doctor that day. Over the last 22 years every doctor that I have been to (6 family doctors) I have notes in my records about me not sleeping and they have given me some form of sleeping pills. In the last 3 months have been diagonosed for osa at my 2 night sleep study and now I am on the cpap.

Do I have any chance in hell getting this service connected----was signed by navy doctor in 1987 as frequent trouble sleeping and diganossed osa sleep apnea in 2008-----I have been suffering since my Marine Corps days?

What do you guys think?

I got out the Marine Corps in 1987------I have a copy of my smr and was shocked that at my exit physicial --I noted that I had frequent trouble sleeping--was acknowledged and signed by Navy doctor that day. Over the last 22 years every doctor that I have been to (6 family doctors) I have notes in my records about me not sleeping and they have given me some form of sleeping pills. In the last 3 months have been diagonosed for osa at my 2 night sleep study and now I am on the cpap.

Do I have any chance in hell getting this service connected----was signed by navy doctor in 1987 as frequent trouble sleeping and diganossed osa sleep apnea in 2008-----I have been suffering since my Marine Corps days?

What do you guys think?

Anything is possible, but more likely doubtful, you activity duty medical records just say you had trouble sleeping and you say you made the statement to the doctors, just because your doctor signed it doesn't mean anything. How many times do you go to the hospital and tell you doctor something, he writes it all down and then comes up with a different problem that what you think you have. Lay statements are not considered evidence for claims purposes, and I am sure in 1987 no doctor observed you sleeping which is the only way apnea can be diagnosed. In addition there was not diagnoses until 2008. A doctor might be able to come up with a nexus.. but I think it is highly unlikely..not being able to sleep and sleep apnea are completely different problems.. I'm not a doctor, these are just my opinions. At any rate you need to do what you think is best, I wish you luck...