VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Something Other Than Gabapentin....

Rate this topic

I was on Topomax for 4 yrs with a civilian dr when I had real insurance and it worked like a charm

I had gained over 60 pounds with gabapentin..not good for a diabetic or anyone else.

When I came to the VA I had to fight for 2 yrs for my Topomax (I bought it myself for that time).

I finally won with sheer logic...why the heck would you put a diabetic with weight issues on a drug that will make them gain weight ?????? <_<

Then, I added that I was ready to go to Anderson Cooper with proof about how much the VA spends on erectile dysfunction drugs, and the fact and that they have convicted child molesters and rapists that receive them.

Amazingly enough my Topomax prescription was finally approved by the phamacy committee, which I might add is all male here in Seattle. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did try me on gabapentin, but it made me drowsy all the time. I had a friend who was increased up to 8 gabapentin a day, he wound up weighing 400 pounds, and died in a diabetic coma. I only take klonopin at bedtime now, it works on the horrible panic attacks most of the time. I just wish i had an anti-depressant that worked, I have absolutely no interest in anything...i go from one day to the next with nothing i can look forward to enjoying..i don't like going out around people. I have several physical problems, mainly very active ankylosing spondylitis, which prohibits exercise and I am 100% PTSD. when i have to be around my children etc i feel like a hypocrite trying to show normalcy, i don't think they buy it. I really believe PTSD causes some chemical imbalance in the brain, for a full good nights sleep and a childhood day spent truly enjoying friends would be worth a lot to me, but i can always see someone worse off when i go to the VAMC. I thank God I am blessed with enough finances since if I had to be in a work environment, I would it would be all over for me.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gabapentin works for me but I also am now taking medicine cause I have swelling in my feet. That would be good news I guess as I thought it was cause of heart failure or insufficiency.

Now that I am back on Topomax at the doseage that I should be, I couldn't afford the 100mg only 50mg, I have lost 18lbs and am feeling great and my sugars are getting back in line where they should be. I'm also seeing a big difference in the neuropathic pain again.

I'm also on venafaxilene 150mg a day for depression.

• HadIt.com Elder

Watch the topomax because it can hurt your eyes. You need to have an eye doctor check you. It does help with weight loss for some reason.

B) My new VA Psych - since I recently moved to Alabama - read through my medical files, and then informed that Gabbapentin wasn't the medicine I needed. She said I had to be weaned off of it slowly, so she decreased it to three. I see her again on Oct. 1. She will probably cut me again. But no replacement medication has been named. Meanwhile, I carry the extra 80#, swollen leg and ankle. I wish I could wake up and this would be a nightmare. To think they put me on it, raised my doses, and was never monitored.

They did try me on gabapentin, but it made me drowsy all the time. I had a friend who was increased up to 8 gabapentin a day, he wound up weighing 400 pounds, and died in a diabetic coma. I only take klonopin at bedtime now, it works on the horrible panic attacks most of the time. I just wish i had an anti-depressant that worked, I have absolutely no interest in anything...i go from one day to the next with nothing i can look forward to enjoying..i don't like going out around people. I have several physical problems, mainly very active ankylosing spondylitis, which prohibits exercise and I am 100% PTSD. when i have to be around my children etc i feel like a hypocrite trying to show normalcy, i don't think they buy it. I really believe PTSD causes some chemical imbalance in the brain, for a full good nights sleep and a childhood day spent truly enjoying friends would be worth a lot to me, but i can always see someone worse off when i go to the VAMC. I thank God I am blessed with enough finances since if I had to be in a work environment, I would it would be all over for me.