VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Those emg test don't show alot and are not very effective.

I've had students take the test & say, nope nothing wrong there.

Only to get a reply from me, that I don't want to go into.

I experience the same problem. For me, I believe it's due to neurological damage. Spinal nerves or brain. Neither function well. I have no reflexes on testing.

It's the nerve that controls the motor drive through the knee.

It just drops off in mid step sometimes with me.

Sometimes I'll feel good enough when I get out of the car, so I leave my cane. Half way through walmart I'll need to ask my wife to go get it so I can get back to the car.

You may need to start using a cane to prevent a fall or keep from over working that nerve. With me it feels like the electric flow gets pinched off. Nothing I can do about it. I can take pain meds, but than I overwork the damaged nerve if I walk to much. It lays me up for a few days if I do.

Some days are better then others, so I pray for good days.

Hi Allan

Yuppeerrss, this is the same sensation I am having, I have not fell yet, I do have the problem in both knees and fortunately they have not dropped off at the same, or I d be kissing mother earth at high velocity.

Do you know the VA diagnostic code for this issue and where to find it rating schedule?

Happy Trails

Paul

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul,

you will need to have a Dr narrow it down to what it is exactly causing the problem in the Knee. What nerve, muscle or tendon, etc.

I doubt the DVA will award for something your discribing without an MD to back it up and discribe the problem.

Once you have something in medical terms the DVA raters can go by, they will tie it to a code.

That sciatic nerve can cause major problems with the knee and muscles.

But you will need a statement from your Dr before they will consider the claim as a secondary issue.

A Patient's Guide to Knee Anatomy

http://www.eorthopod.com/public/patient_ed...ee_anatomy.html

Hi Allan

In my C&P exam in Oct 2006, the PA noted, "In the iliotibial band, (which from your link ,appears to be the nerve behind the knee), on the left side, there was discomfort/pain at a 1-2/10, a very low grade that started on palpation down the iliotibial band and increased distally to a 4-5/10 just prior to the knee joint insertion. In the right side iliotibial band, the pain started at a 3/10 and increased downward and distally towards the right knee and ended as a 5-6/10 on palpation.

Fortunately, I have something in writing.

Thanks for the help

Paul

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul...could be the ilotibial band, or could be the sciatic nerve. I have bad sciatica, and I can attest that it will knock your legs right out from under you. A can will help with falls, but i still fall at least once per day.

Allan...everytime I leave my can behind, i end up in trouble. I swear I'm gonna figure out a way to attach it to my belt when I'm not using it. My son is tired of picking it up when I drop it, also.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul,

interesting reading on OA and the knee......

This article will primarily emphasize prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of

OA of the knee, but many of the diagnostic and therapeutic recommendations

also apply to OA of the hip and hand.

http://www1.va.gov/pugetsound/docs/260964121.pdf

rentalguy,

it's hard to keep tract of them even when you have good memory.

I have good memory. The problem is she's not always with me.