VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hey Everybody,

Rate this question

dicple13

Question

I am a Desert Storm Gulf War Veteran who was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD since 2003 at a VA medical facility.I have been trying ever since to prove to the VRO that I am a Combat Veteran contrary to their beliefs saying their is no proof of me being in combat.My DD214-215 clearly shows that I served in SWA fron Dec1990- Apr 1991.By the way my MOS was 19Delta Cavalry Scout with the 2/2Armored Cavalry Regiment at the time out of Bamberg Germany.I did not receive the CIB CAB,Purple Heart just a Unit Valorous Award and SWA Medal.I also provided copies of my LES showing I received Danger Pay which is now Combat Pay,and a Buddy Letter detailing our tour with 2/2ACR in Desert Storm.Yet again ,I get there is no proof that you are a combat veteran.Did I mention I was a 19D which is a Combat MOS I think.I even sent off for a copy of my Unit Activity Report during Desert Storm detaling the stressors I claimed for PTSD.What did I do wrong?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Nothing- you did nothing wrong-

PTSD stressors have to be proven unless you have the PH or CAR.

The best thing you can do-you did do-you got a buddy letter but was the buddy a witness to the stressors you experienced?

There is a topic here at hadit specifically on what a stressor is and what doesnt raise to the level of stressor.

Did they send your stressor info to JSRRC yet?

Did the Unit action report and your MOS fully coincide?

Did the Unit have any after action reports or lessons learned reports? regarding the same incidents?

Have you googled your unit on the web to see if any other VBuddy can help too?

Edited by Berta

Here is a link for the 2nd ACR where you might locate a buddy for a statement:

2nd ACR Link

Here is another link which shows the Order of Battle for VII Armored Corps:

Order of Battle

This officer would likely provide a helpful letter since he was in charge of E Troop (even if that was not your troop, he could describe the deployment from Bamburg). Col McMaster-He commanded Eagle Troop, Second Armored Cavalry Regiment in Bamberg, Germany and Southwest Asia during Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm,

You have provided the VA more evidence than I used (DD 214s and copy of DA Form 2-1, Personnel Record) to qualify for SC for diabetes II due to agent orange [added...I just remembered that the AO/DMII connection was presumptive, so I didn't have the burden of more proof]. Additionally, and as you know, Combat Pay is designated for combat zones only and you have to be there to receive it.

Good luck,

Ron

Edited by Ron II

• HadIt.com Elder
I am a Desert Storm Gulf War Veteran who was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD since 2003 at a VA medical facility.I have been trying ever since to prove to the VRO that I am a Combat Veteran contrary to their beliefs saying their is no proof of me being in combat.My DD214-215 clearly shows that I served in SWA fron Dec1990- Apr 1991.By the way my MOS was 19Delta Cavalry Scout with the 2/2Armored Cavalry Regiment at the time out of Bamberg Germany.I did not receive the CIB CAB,Purple Heart just a Unit Valorous Award and SWA Medal.I also provided copies of my LES showing I received Danger Pay which is now Combat Pay,and a Buddy Letter detailing our tour with 2/2ACR in Desert Storm.Yet again ,I get there is no proof that you are a combat veteran.Did I mention I was a 19D which is a Combat MOS I think.I even sent off for a copy of my Unit Activity Report during Desert Storm detaling the stressors I claimed for PTSD.What did I do wrong?

Not to put you down but just because you received combat (or hazardous duty) pay and have a combat MOS doesn't mean you qualify. Many vets are diagnosed with and have PTSD but you need to prove it was caused by your service, in the Gulf war.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

Not to put you down but just because you received combat (or hazardous duty) pay and have a combat MOS doesn't mean you qualify. Many vets are diagnosed with and have PTSD but you need to prove it was caused by your service, in the Gulf war.

pr

I'm not sure why you made this statement, his statement he recieved combat pay only help illistrate the rest of his evidence that supports his truly being in combat. He doesn't even say that his stressor wasn't accepted, what I was reading was, the VA was saying he has no i.e., evidence that showed he was in combat. He certainly listed enough information so that the VA could then make requests of any records that would show he was involved in combat, but as usual, the VA won't do job and it is left up to the Veteran to do their job for lthem.

Rockhound Rider :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why you made this statement, his statement he received combat pay only help illustrate the rest of his evidence that supports his truly being in combat. He doesn't even say that his stressor wasn't accepted, what I was reading was, the VA was saying he has no i.e., evidence that showed he was in combat. He certainly listed enough information so that the VA could then make requests of any records that would show he was involved in combat, but as usual, the VA won't do job and it is left up to the Veteran to do their job for them.

Rockhound Rider :rolleyes:

I was here also in the GW1 and if you were a cook you received "Danger Pay" $110 and those traveled the countries for support and doing the fighting received "double danger pay" Not to burst ur bubble brother but you will have to come harder than that with the VA. I went to Somalis were direct combat was common place and a letter from my commander didn't phase the VA one I-oda. your going to need statements with those you were with. I don't mean to offend I just don't know how to put it in a nice way.....

Edited by yoggie2