VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hey Everybody,

Rate this question

dicple13

Question

I am a Desert Storm Gulf War Veteran who was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD since 2003 at a VA medical facility.I have been trying ever since to prove to the VRO that I am a Combat Veteran contrary to their beliefs saying their is no proof of me being in combat.My DD214-215 clearly shows that I served in SWA fron Dec1990- Apr 1991.By the way my MOS was 19Delta Cavalry Scout with the 2/2Armored Cavalry Regiment at the time out of Bamberg Germany.I did not receive the CIB CAB,Purple Heart just a Unit Valorous Award and SWA Medal.I also provided copies of my LES showing I received Danger Pay which is now Combat Pay,and a Buddy Letter detailing our tour with 2/2ACR in Desert Storm.Yet again ,I get there is no proof that you are a combat veteran.Did I mention I was a 19D which is a Combat MOS I think.I even sent off for a copy of my Unit Activity Report during Desert Storm detaling the stressors I claimed for PTSD.What did I do wrong?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Yoggie2 I was about to bring up the same point. The "danger" pay was for the region which means you could have been on the other side of the Persian Gulf and be drawing it. I know a few that did

• HadIt.com Elder
I'm not sure why you made this statement, his statement he recieved combat pay only help illistrate the rest of his evidence that supports his truly being in combat. He doesn't even say that his stressor wasn't accepted, what I was reading was, the VA was saying he has no i.e., evidence that showed he was in combat. He certainly listed enough information so that the VA could then make requests of any records that would show he was involved in combat, but as usual, the VA won't do job and it is left up to the Veteran to do their job for lthem.

Rockhound Rider B)

Rockhound, many with a combat MOS don't actually work in their MOS. Also some without combat MOS's actually do see combat. Generally 90% of personnel are in support positions. I'm not making light of their duties, for w/o them the troops are lost. In VN everyone received combat pay, so combat pay doesn't count for anything. The VA's attitude is that you have to prove your stressor, and if combat is your stressor, then show me. Unfortunately, as we all know, the VA is not on our side and require proof of stressor, in lieu of combat awards. I've also found that those who claim combat 24/7, lie. jmo

pr

PTSD is a very interesting, but complex subject. I understand about the combat, purple heart, etc. But, what if your problem was not the NVA or Viet Cong, but your own Government's medical Doctors? I believe they done more damage to my mental state then any enemy could ever have done.

Papa

Being a combat soldier and being in combat is two different things. In order for the VA to accept the stressor based upon the veterans statement:

The statement must allege that the stressor was caused by combat which the VA defines as engagement with the enemy.

The rest of the record supports the statement such as buddy letters, reports, awards etc......that such engagement took place and the veteran was there.

Being a combat soldier and you did not claim PTSD based upon actual engagement with the enemy (was simply in theater) will require that you provide proof of your stressors. That is all they are asking for is proof. No harm no foul here. Same as if a veteran claims a heart condition in service.

Just my take.