VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Approved

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

Hi,

After 18 months, my husband was finally approved today at the ALJ level.

No attorney was used either. We went in, and the judge asked about 3 or 4 questions and said to the court reporter approved with effective date of when he filed last yr. Then he told us, we would hear from them within a month but hopefully just a couple of weeks...

Oh, and one more thing, they supposedly got the medical records from the VA...well they were not in his file with SS. It's a good thing I took our own copies with us as well as documents from his outside cardiologist. The judge even commented on that and thanked us 3 different time for bringing that stuff with us. They made copies when we arrived so the judge had to review them before seeing us....Make sure you take your own copies with you....

thanks,

sbrewer

Edited by sbrewer

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats:

You may have to pay some tax on Social Security it depends on Income over 32,000 for married couples. You might set aside 10 or 20 % of the retro just in case. It won't hit till next year when you file 2008 taxes.

Is the 5 months for SSA or all claims, I was granted 20 years retro on my VA claim, haven't gotten the money yet. Hopefully it won't take 5 months, I know it requires 3 signatures over $25,000.00. Please reply

sbrewer,

Great news, I'm happy the SSA finally granted it.

Your retro pay should be from I think 5 months after filing to date.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Since a SSA award may involve payment for the year or so before the current tax year--

There is another IRS form that can be used to spread the SSA payment out for one or two past years. 914 or 915 comes to mind. One potential problem may have to do with the "tax rebate" check. The amount that should be entered on the 1040 for the tax rebate may be different as a result.

Congrats:

You may have to pay some tax on Social Security it depends on Income over 32,000 for married couples. You might set aside 10 or 20 % of the retro just in case. It won't hit till next year when you file 2008 taxes.