VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Arteriosclerotic Heart Disease

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was recently given a C&P for Arteriosclerotic heart disease. The VA's own disability exam worksheet says the examiner to provide the METs level determined by exercise testing except if the exercise testing in contraindicated. All I got was an echocardiogram at rest and the PA listened to my heart with her scope. Was I given an adequate exam, or did I get the cut rate variety. There is not contraindication that would indicate I could not have had a stress test. The PA even misrepresented the results of the echocardiogram. I got a copy of the VA exam sheet, but it seems very skimpy. Is there some place I can look to more information on how the VA determines the degree of heart disease that should be identified by an C&P exam. I did not even get a chest x-ray. The exam said no heart disease but vascular artery disease. If I have deposits in my legs what is to say I don't have deposits in my aorta? I don't see that this exam I got shows much.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you take Nitrates for Chest Pain? Isosorbide mononitrate or Nito?

What did they say your Ejection Fraction is?

Met Level?

John, I hate to say it but you need the following tests done.

Heart Echo

The Dreaded Cardiac Catherization.

These tests outweigh any test or opinion given.

The Cath is the MAC Daddy as it is someone actually looking inside your arterys. They measure everything and the test overrides any other tests.

I was worried about having mind done but the VA tried to say my heart was Normal. The Cath proved them wrong. Arteriosclerotic heart diseaed or CAD.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had the echo but the VA exam minimized it. Should I just go to a cardiologist and ask for a work up? I don't trust the VA at all.

"The exam said no heart disease but vascular artery disease."

Where the heck do those quacks think the Vascular artery disease came from?

John- the ECHO report itself should tell you a lot-a Syracuse VA cardiologist -AFTER giving my husband ECHO-told me there was 'nothing' wrong with his heart.

The ECHO-and his prior med recs --- after I studied as much cardiology as I could- was instrumental along with Rod's autopsy in proving they committed malpractice and caused his death-

In one of my IMOs from Dr. Bash he used the term Peripheral Arterial Disease- there are a few different types of this type of arterial disease and he directly associated it with Rod's 'longstanding" and undiagnosed and untreated diabetes mellitus from Agent Orange.

AN ECHO can reveal (but not as it as much detail as the catherization.

I am sure there is a training letter for vascular heart disease and also the VBM has info on how VA is to rate this-

The Ejection fraction and the % of any occlusion should be on the ECHO report.

VA X rays of heart-in my opinion- are often useless- they cannot show prior myocardial infarctions in most cases and they too -in Rod's case-were completely misinterpreted by the VA.

I will try to find the cardiovascular training letter and post it here later-

I meticulously sorted out all of my VA crapola the other day- in preparation for the next battle I might have- and now I cant find ANYTHING!

I have about 200 files re: my VA claims but regarding other VA stuff too-and need to make a Master list

I am sure many here can relate to this- when you have numerous things going on with VA -as I do- it is easy to take something from one file to use for something else in another file-and not put it back in the right file-

John the METS- did they give reason why they dodnt use this?

"dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness ,snycope"

"The lower the MET workload levels that produces these symptoms, the higher the disability evaluation" VBM NVLSP 2007 Edition page 331.

I have seen BVA remands because the METS wasnt done and this is what helps to define the proper rating for many cardiovascular conditions.

Edited by Berta

PS -on the same page John (I think same page) NVLSP says that VA is lowballing on complications of DMII when it comes to heart disease-

they put it a little differently-

The AO Thailand vet I know- who just won at the RO level- was given 20% DM II but his doctor clearly said he had to restrict his activities due to AO DM.His overall rating was 70% but not TDIU-so he is fighting that.

They overlooked many heart problems he has also due to DMII.

• HadIt.com Elder

John, take a copy of that echo to an outside cardiologist. This doc can interpet it correctly and give you the scoop. The VA would never give me a heart cath or even a heart exam but I did go outside.

They used the Private Docs cath report and the C and P examiner went with the doc word for word.

• HadIt.com Elder

Should I just take a copy of the echo interpretation to the outside cardiologist, or a copy of the actual echo. Is the echo on a disc and can I get the actual echocardiogram for an outside interpretation? I would like to get a complete workup. Stress test and all. I need to really have enough evidence to put my mind at ease. If I don't have any heart disease that would be good but I don't trust the VA's physician's assistant to tell me that. The VA has never sent me for workups on DMII secondary conditions without me raising the issue via a claim. Can you imagine your own private doctor waiting for you to bring up the need for diagnosis and treatment of HBP or eye problems if they knew you had DMII? There follow up on secodary DMII conditions is a scandal. There is no follow up. This is world class treatment?????