VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Awarded Adaptive Equipment Only

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I was awarded adaptive equipment only, so while I was at the prostehetics department for my clothing allowance evaluation that I was told I didn't need to have, I asked them about my adaptive equipment only award and was told by one of the ladies up there that if I was awarded adaptive equipment only, I was only entitled to a lift for a wheelchair for the back of my vehicle. I told her that I was not using a wheelchair. She then told me that's all that they would approve me for, so since I am not using a wheelchair I cannot use the adaptive equipment award. Is this true or do I need to contact someone else on this matter?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

They usually shoot pretty straight in that Department. I would ask one of the Councilors who work in Prosthetic's.

I was awarded adaptive equipment only, so while I was at the prostehetics department for my clothing allowance evaluation that I was told I didn't need to have, I asked them about my adaptive equipment only award and was told by one of the ladies up there that if I was awarded adaptive equipment only, I was only entitled to a lift for a wheelchair for the back of my vehicle. I told her that I was not using a wheelchair. She then told me that's all that they would approve me for, so since I am not using a wheelchair I cannot use the adaptive equipment award. Is this true or do I need to contact someone else on this matter?

Sorry but you do not say why you were awarded adaptive equipment for, what disability or handicap do you have that you need adaptive equipment for?

If you do not have a wheelchair and need one, then have your PCP refer you for an evaluation with the wheelchair/mobility assessment board. Even if you do not meet the need for a wheelchair you might qualify for a scooter, then with the adaptive equipment award you could get a lift for your vehicle.

and No, neither of these items require that your need be based on SC issues. Depending on the budget of Prothetics for these items, it could take a awhile, although I never had to wait more than a month or two to get anything from them as yet. Just got a brand new scooter to replace my old broken one and it only took three weeks after they decided to replace the old one to deliver it. off course it took about two weeks for them to make up their mind and that was only because the people making the decisions went on vacation for a week.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Rockhoung Rider :P

I have Left Knee Fusion or ankylosis and and Total Right Knee Replacement that failed.

Sorry but you do not say why you were awarded adaptive equipment for, what disability or handicap do you have that you need adaptive equipment for?

If you do not have a wheelchair and need one, then have your PCP refer you for an evaluation with the wheelchair/mobility assessment board. Even if you do not meet the need for a wheelchair you might qualify for a scooter, then with the adaptive equipment award you could get a lift for your vehicle.

and No, neither of these items require that your need be based on SC issues. Depending on the budget of Prothetics for these items, it could take a awhile, although I never had to wait more than a month or two to get anything from them as yet. Just got a brand new scooter to replace my old broken one and it only took three weeks after they decided to replace the old one to deliver it. off course it took about two weeks for them to make up their mind and that was only because the people making the decisions went on vacation for a week.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Rockhoung Rider :P

Jay you would be entitled to more than just a lift. I am attaching a copy of the most recent VA handbook on the subject. it will explain what you are entilted to much better that I can.

Handbook_1173.4_Automobile_Adaptive_Equipment_Program.pdf

M21_AUTO_AND_ADAPTIVE_EQUIPMENT.doc

VHA_directive_reinbursement_rates_2008_034.pdf

Thanks Teac, I am going to print those and take them to the prosthetics department and ask them to explain to me why I was told I only qualified for a wheelchair lift.

Jay you would be entitled to more than just a lift. I am attaching a copy of the most recent VA handbook on the subject. it will explain what you are entilted to much better that I can.