VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter Received From Va

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

My husband received a letter from the VA today about the 1151 claim he sent in. The letter looked like

a standard do you have any thing else to submit and sign this form and send back. However, at the

bottom they had cc to American Legion. Why would they just send a copy to the American Legion? He

has not contacted them for anything.

Thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

sbrewer:

["However, at the bottom they had cc to American Legion. Why would they just send a copy to the American Legion? He has not contacted them for anything."]

As long as the AL has your POA, they are always kept apprised of everything they send to you or you may send to them. I submitted my own claim with no help from DAV, but they still sent it to them to be looked over. My SO sent a memo with my claim when he returned it making the recommendation that further developtment was necessary and my SSDI claim file should be requested to add to my file.

When I looked back on my most resent claim, I noticed that on the list of supporting records, SSA was on that list, and my SSDI claim file should have already been a part of my C-File. This goes to show that, before and after you have submitied and received a decision, you should check your C-File to make sure that all relavent records were their for their review and that they made reference to it in your decision as having been considered.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,

Jim S. B)

sbrewer: "POA stand for Power of Attorney" Usually when you see a SO, "Service Officer", from such organizations as AL, "American Legion", they have you sign a POA so they can represent you for VA, "Veteran Affairs", claim purposes. Once your POA is on recurred, it remains their until you recind it in writing to the VARO, "Veteran Affairs Regional Office".

Even if you do not have them submit your claim, it is likely as not, a good idea to run your claim by them, even if you disagree on the claims viability. A good SO would notify you of anything they recieve from the VA about you or your claim, but that doesn't always happens, so it is wise for you to always play a pro active role in your claims process and check on it's progress at least a couple times a month and seek answers if the process rums over 6 to 8 month without at least some correspondence from them about this progress. Checking in with your AL SO as often, isn't a bad idea either.

You Can request one free copy of you C-File by submiting a FOIA, "Freedom Of Information Act" notive with you area VARO. It is always best to go to the VARO and request to view your C=File first, this assures you that all the information in the copy you then request, will have all that you have already seen. Do not ask or mention you want a copy until you have seen your C-File in person first. If they don't Ask, don;t Tell.

Your can also request them to copy any thing of interest you find, at the time you view your C-File. If you use the VAMC system, you can go to Records and request a copy of your complete medical File. They will have you signe a FOIA form also and depending on how large your file is and time available, they may mail you the copy in about 10 days.

Oh, if any correspondence you get from the VA, VARO, SO, etc. It is always a good idea if a response is requested, to do so as soon as possible. If you are not sure how to respond or answer any questions, then take it to your SO and they can help you with it, or ask here and we may be able to help or walk you through the process.

Jim S.

Jim,

What is POA?

And does this mean that the AL will respond to my husband as well as the VA?

Should he contact the AL?

Where do you get a copy of your C-file?

thanks,

sbrewer