VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Injury Due To Hospital Treatment

Rate this question

kluender

Question

Can a claim be filed for an injury due to hospital treatment if the hospital isn't a VA hospital, but is a military hospital (Fort Jackson, Moncrief)? Also, the statute of limitations has passed which prevents the person from filing a Federal Tort Claim.

Thanks

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that a claim against the VA is still possible in this particular case.

Good Luck

Thanks Pete.

quote name='Pete53' date='Aug 16 2008, 10:58 PM' post='102851']

I think that a claim against the VA is still possible in this particular case.

Good Luck

This site might offer some help:

http://www.militarymedicalmalpractice.com/...ryhospitals.asp

This type of malpractice is explained at this site (there are many other military malpractice sites too) but it also says these claims usually come under the FTCA -therefore the claim of malpractice MUST be filed within 2 years after learning of the malpractice.

• HadIt.com Elder

You may want to take a good look at the Gardner case that opened the door for Veterans who were injured due to VA negligence to be service connected for it.

Pete I met you at Prodigy around the time Rod was in the Gardner moratorium and I ended up in it after he died.

Gardner helped some vets but closed the door for many vets too-

Prior to Gardner there was a no fault idea to some Section 1151 claims-which were awarded as secondarys with a 'no fault' concept but after Gardner decision - a vet must prove negligence-

FTCA -Gardner didnt matter to FTCA claims however-it had nothing to do with ny FTCA at all- the VA deliberately held that up- not the moratorium-

But Gardner would only help this vet if they are filing a Section 1151 claim.

No statute of limits on Section 1151 claims-

I dont know if there are any Sec 1151 claims filed against military Hosps but the BVA web site might have some.

Pete I met you at Prodigy around the time Rod was in the Gardner moratorium and I ended up in it after he died.

Prior to Gardner there was a no fault idea to some Section 1151 claims-which were awarded as secondarys with a 'no fault' concept but after Gardner decision - a vet must prove negligence-

FTCA -Gardner didnt matter to FTCA claims however-it had nothing to do with ny FTCA at all- the VA deliberately held that up- not the moratorium-

I dont know if there are any Sec 1151 claims filed against military Hosps but the BVA web site might have some.

Berta and Pete thanks for the information. I'm just hoping that the 1151 can be filed against military hospitals that don't fall under VA such as Fort Jackson.