VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Metatarsal Arthritis

Rate this question

oldvet

Question

How is VA supposed to rate this? As arthritic joints or a foot injury? I have been cited as having a "foot injury" under 5284. and therefore rated as a 0 because it does not meet the moderate condition. If the Xray shows arthritis of the metatarsal joints shouldn't that be rated as such?

Thanks,

oldvet

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Now that I go back and look at it, that kind of makes sense. They were bound by law to acknowledge the injury, and it didn't line up with the criteria for 5002, so they put it under a analogous code. I don't think there is any way to argue it so that the code could be changed to 5017. Therefore, they may have done you a favor in this instance. I say that becuase this particular code allows for a increase to 10% fairly easily. I think all you would need to prove a claim for increase is that the foot is bothering you quite a bit.

Do you happen to have plantar fascitis along with the arthritis? If not, watch out, because it is most likely in your future. It's absolutely no fun. If you have it, or end up with it, be sure to file for that condition secondary to your already sc'd foot arthritis.

Now that I go back and look at it, that kind of makes sense. They were bound by law to acknowledge the injury, and it didn't line up with the criteria for 5002, so they put it under a analogous code. I don't think there is any way to argue it so that the code could be changed to 5017. Therefore, they may have done you a favor in this instance. I say that becuase this particular code allows for a increase to 10% fairly easily. I think all you would need to prove a claim for increase is that the foot is bothering you quite a bit.

Do you happen to have plantar fascitis along with the arthritis? If not, watch out, because it is most likely in your future. It's absolutely no fun. If you have it, or end up with it, be sure to file for that condition secondary to your already sc'd foot arthritis.

Thanks. No, I don't have it but will keep a watch on things. Thanks again.

oldvet

Thanks. No, I don't have it but will keep a watch on things. Thanks again.

oldvet

rentalguy1

I think I satnd corrected on my last comment. I have had awful heel pain and an xray taken recently shows "A small plantar and dorsal calcaneal spurs are noted at the left foot." If this is what I think it is i.e. faciitis then how should I handle it? The VA has this report so it is not new evidence, maybe just overlooked.

Thanks,

oldvet

• HadIt.com Elder

get a appointment with your VA PCP and tell him you think you have PF. If that's what it is, then the pain will extend from your heel to the ball of your foot. It will be hard to flex your toes in either direction or stand on your toes. It also is excruciating to stand up first thing in the morning without physically grabbing your toes and stretching them back first. If these are your symptoms, then you have PF. One your PCP gives you a dx, try to get him to state in your progress notes that it's due to your sc'd foot problem. Once you have that, then file a secondary claim for it. If you need to know what to ask for, search for my "Planning My NOD" thread.

get a appointment with your VA PCP and tell him you think you have PF. If that's what it is, then the pain will extend from your heel to the ball of your foot. It will be hard to flex your toes in either direction or stand on your toes. It also is excruciating to stand up first thing in the morning without physically grabbing your toes and stretching them back first. If these are your symptoms, then you have PF. One your PCP gives you a dx, try to get him to state in your progress notes that it's due to your sc'd foot problem. Once you have that, then file a secondary claim for it. If you need to know what to ask for, search for my "Planning My NOD" thread.

Thank you very much rentalguy1, I really appreciate you assistance on this.

oldvet