Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Va Psychiatric Residents

Rockhound
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Once again I have been assigned a Resident MD, who I hope is studying to become a Psychiatrist. They may well be doing only a rotation in psychiatry, just to fullfill their course requirements for all I know. How are these Residents Dr.s supervised and how can you be certain they are being supervised when you never meet the supervising Psychiatrist and how can they be certain the resident is doing a proper job if these supervising Psychiatrists never sit in on any of your routine visits?

For that matter, how do you learn who the supervising Psychiatrist is, so you can check on his qualifications as well?

Rockhound Rider :P

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Ask the resident who his supervising MD is. He is supose to get his notes/opinions countersigned--by getting them countersigned the supervising MD is saying he has read his notes and agrees with them. Does he-some do some don't, they just sign the notes. AsK the resident MD how long he will be in that clinic.

Jim, each resident is assigned to an attending Physician.

If you have the notes from the visit, it may show you the note where the Attending read it and signed off on it. ( I have seen it on my reports.) It may not tell the title but just a name.

There is no way they can turn these residents loose and not supervise thir work.

• HadIt.com Elder

January 1 and July 1 the residents come for a 6 month rotation. In my opinion it is a very poor system for Veterans to get quality care although some residents are very caring.

Almost every VA Hospital is a teaching hospital and we get the same sort of care that the uninsured get at the Public Hospitals.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know the safest career move for these residents is to agree with your previous diagnosis and treatment. If it like a charity hospital. Vets are treated the same way poor people are treated in big cities. A few patients get better, some stay the same and some die. As long as it does not cost too much.

It's like you say John999, once you have a diagnosis from the VA, it's almost impossible to get another VA Dr. to either say differently or to actually diagnose a new one that is more likely than not the actual correct one.

Rockhound Rider :D

How in the world does the VA expect you to build a relationship with someone to start a path to recovery? God Almighty in away I'm glad I'm so broke I get to see the same guy here in town, an a unbiased weekly thing VA pays for it. Then I see the VA shrink for my meds for the head 4 times a year. You guys are talking about musical doctors how would you know if you were getting better or getting worse if a VA doc is just sending the same crap on down the line????

Edited by yoggie2

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>