VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Psychiatric Residents

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

Once again I have been assigned a Resident MD, who I hope is studying to become a Psychiatrist. They may well be doing only a rotation in psychiatry, just to fullfill their course requirements for all I know. How are these Residents Dr.s supervised and how can you be certain they are being supervised when you never meet the supervising Psychiatrist and how can they be certain the resident is doing a proper job if these supervising Psychiatrists never sit in on any of your routine visits?

For that matter, how do you learn who the supervising Psychiatrist is, so you can check on his qualifications as well?

Rockhound Rider :P

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are involuntarily admitted to the VA mental ward you are OK as long as you don't get violent with the staff. There are lots of guys who are up on the ward simply because their relatives don't want them back. Just because you hear voices or hallucinate is no big deal. Just don't get them too scared. You can talk all the crazy stuff in the world, but if you raise a hand to staff then you get strapped down in your own private room. Being admitted is probably the best thing you can do, Rockhound. Open up to the shrink. They won't admit you unless they believe you are a real danger to yourself or others. If you do get admitted you will probably get the schizophrenic diagnosis you need and a low GAF score. This can be treated like an informal claim for benefits. The way things are now the VA does not want to keep mental patients locked up for months or weeks. They want to get you in and stabilize you. It costs money to keep a patient on a locked ward. We both know this is all the VA really cares about is cost. Does someone have your health care POA that can get you out of the VA if you do get locked up?

• HadIt.com Elder

Rockhound:

I am sorry that I may of scared you by my post. I think John is correct and that in your case you should tell the VA at least some of the stuff that is happening. After all you can limit what you tell them by being honest and telling them that yes you hear voices that tell you what to do but be honest and tell them that you don't trust them to tell them what is being said.

By the way the voices will go away if they give you the right meds. Good Luck