VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Changing A Primary To Secondary

Rate this question

Bossman

Question

I joined the Army in 1974. At that time I did not have any medical problems. While in training and during my first year Permanent Party I separated my right shoulder several times, brusied my Patella's many times. For these injuries I was prescribed Darvons, Darvocet, Percogesic and other pain killer and muscle relaxers. During this time I all of a sudden had HBP and Hypertensive heart Disease. There is no family history of heart disease or HBP.

During the 70's I heard nothing about OSA. When I ETS'd I was SC for hypertension and hypertensive heart disease.

What I want to know is, can I change the primary diagnosis from Hypertensive Heart Disease to OSA and have the Hypertensive heart disease changed to secondary to OSA? I have a buddy letter from my roomate stating that I did not snore or smoke when I first started rooming with him. We were room mates for 13 months. He states that during the time that I roomed with him I started snoring.

I think that I was miss diagnosed HBP as the primary and it should have been secondary to OSA. I am on a CPAP machine and I have been for about 4 years. I was diagnosed with severe OSA by VA and issued a CPAP by VA. I ETS'd in November 1978.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Would it be better or easier to service connect the OSA as secondary due to being aggravated by the SC heart disease?

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files3/0721554.txt

This vet got his OSA SCed as secondary to his allergic rhinitis.

With medical evidence almost anything can be found as either being aggravated by a SC condition or causing a secondary condition

Would it be better or easier to service connect the OSA as secondary due to being aggravated by the SC heart disease?

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files3/0721554.txt

This vet got his OSA SCed as secondary to his allergic rhinitis.

With medical evidence almost anything can be found as either being aggravated by a SC condition or causing a secondary condition

Berta,

Thanks again for your response. The citation that you referenced will help. I noticed that it references medication used for other SC problems. That is the link that I want to make. I will try this and see what happens. I have found literature that states that medication can lead to Sleep Apnea, especially muscle relaxers and some pain killers.

Good idea-medications can cause or contribute secondary conditions

a veteran can raise any potential scenario at all for service connection.

I have three claims -all separate - for three different ways in which VA can directly service connect my husband's death.

I have seen cases at the BVA where the veteran's main argument was denied but the veteran had also raised another potential way to service connect something-and sometimes the additional scenario can lead to SC.

Sometimes we have to look at a claim in many different ways.

• HadIt.com Elder

What bothers me most about VA is that if the veteran does not raise the issue than the VA ignores it even when they know. If you don't ask you don't get is VA motto. Something is wrong with that scenario as the VA claims its wants to help Veterans with claims and that they are not an adversary.