VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ss Disability/retirment

Rate this question

Ruffcreek

Question

Just wondering---I have an appointment next Monday for applying for SS disability beneifts. I also turn 62 in November. Does anyone know if I could apply for early retirement and SSD at the same time?

Thanks

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ruffcreek, from what I know about ssd, if you are allready collecting ssd, when you turn 62, it changes from disability to retirement, that you have paid in. I am not sure what happens when you apply for diability when you are 62. Not sure how that works. I think they will say retire and thats it. But i could be totally wrong, on this. If some one else knows, set me straight on it.

Thanks for your response Tagandbag

Just to clarify, I'm not implying that I would receive benefits for both retirement and disability. Just that I would get my retirement now and if I am approved for disability than the higher disability benefits would kick in. Any retro payments would be only for the difference in the retirement and disabilty.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just to clarify, I'm not implying that I would receive benefits for both retirement and disability. Just that I would get my retirement now and if I am approved for disability than the higher disability benefits would kick in. Any retro payments would be only for the difference in the retirement and disabilty.

I think that you would be much better off on disability than retirement. If you get SSD it will automatically turn to retirement when you reach normal retirement age.

On the back side you would lose money if its not granted.

If I were you I would go to nearest Social Security Office and discuss your options with them. When do you turn 62?

Sorry sir but it does not work that way. If you are old enough to receive SS Retirement that is what you will be able to apply for. Your can not apply for SSD once you have been awarded SS Retirement.

Sorry sir but it does not work that way. If you are old enough to receive SS Retirement that is what you will be able to apply for. Your can not apply for SSD once you have been awarded SS Retirement.

Thanks Ricky--That answers my question.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry Ruffcreek, I wasnt trying to imply you were trying to recieve both retirement and disability. I was trying to say in a nutshell, that ss looks at the age of 62 as retirement. But I wasnt sure if you could add disability to it. I did not think ss will do that. I think Ricky answered that. Thanks for the info.