VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adapted Housing?

Rate this question

admiral7

Question

I just recieved the letter stating I have qualified for adaptive housing and would like to know what happens next.The letter says someone from the loan guaranty office will contact me but no other details.I just recently bought a new house and paid to have the doors widened and ramps built but would like to use the grant for part of the mortgage.I did apply for this before I bought but it has taken them 8 months to decide.I did however utilize the V.A. loan for the mortgage.I am very anxious to find out how the next step progresses so if anyone has used this please reply

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations on your letter, I am sorry, I do not know the answer to your question, but I am sure someone on the board will have the answer for you.

The best to you,

Betty

I just recieved the letter stating I have qualified for adaptive housing and would like to know what happens next.The letter says someone from the loan guaranty office will contact me but no other details.I just recently bought a new house and paid to have the doors widened and ramps built but would like to use the grant for part of the mortgage.I did apply for this before I bought but it has taken them 8 months to decide.I did however utilize the V.A. loan for the mortgage.I am very anxious to find out how the next step progresses so if anyone has used this please reply

I used my grant three years ago. To bad you did not wait before you bought the house. Unless the rules have changed you cannot use it as payment on your present mortage. You can only adapt the home you live in or build an adapted house. You will not get a check it will go into a holding fund for a contractor to draw on.

I used my grant to add a new room with bath on my home, remodel the old bathroom, widen doors, add sunporch, privacy fencing, security alarm. and new appliances.....

You can also use the hisa grant in conjuction with the adaptive housing grant....

download a copy of va pamphlet 26-13 concerning adaptive housing and check out the adaptive housing info on the va web cite.

I will attach a few va references....

Handbook_1173.14_Home_improvements__HISA_.pdf

Circular_26_06_7_Specially_adapted_housing.pdf

Edited by Teac

According to the info on the va web site if you already bought then it can be applied to the mortgage principal

8. How may the grant be used?

a. An eligible veteran or servicemember has the option to use up to the full amount of the grant under any one of the following plans:

Plan (1). The veteran or servicemember may elect to construct a home on land to be acquired for that purpose.

Plan (2). The veteran or servicemember may build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing.

Plan (3). The veteran or servicemember may remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing.

Plan (4). When the veteran or servicemember has already acquired a specially adapted home (without the assistance of a VA grant), the grant may be applied against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of the home.

Edited by Ricky

• HadIt.com Elder

Admiral:

Congrats. I thought that process was supposed to move a lot faster. I was going to apply for the 4100 grant for making my sunken bathtub into a walk in shower but my son wants to build it for me so all I will be out is the cost of material and he will probably do a better job in the first place.

So now I am thinking of asking Voc Rehab to help me replace my old a/c and see if that will fly. I think that they used to routinely do that for Veterans but I don't hear about it happening anymore.