VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Firing Ssdi Attorney

Rate this question

smcskivvy

Question

I have been waiting over a year for my ALJ hearing. During that time I have asked my lawyer for the status of my case. He would get back after numerous phone calls with no news, most times having his legal asst call. I ask to have an OTR as I was 100IU/PT. I read on many vet blogs that a great majority of vets who did were approved. He never has gotten back to me with an answer, he said he would do it and that was in April.

I am tired and too sick to fight it alone, but this lawyer is just waiting for the ALJ to run its course.

Can anyone recommend the best way to fire this lawyer without it turning into another problem.

thanks

smcskivvy

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The lawyer may be hard to fire. Wish you good luck. Make sure that you go to your Hearing and check with Social Security to see where you are?

Good Luck

You can send him (and the SSA too) a revocation- just say you are formally revoking his POA on your SSA claim.

Have you considered ALLSUP Inc?

They are SSA experts and if they take your case they have a 97% success rate.

They have a fee-paid from the retro- I think it is same fee percent that the lawyer would have charged you anyhow-

I am in a POA vet rep situation that is with the OGC-

and I recently revoked a lawyer's POA regarding 2 VA claims I have -after 2 months of feeling uncomfortable with it.

I dont think your lawyer is being attentive at all- as long as you have the SSA work credits needed and the 100% IU -this is a good chance to get SSA.

POA problems down the road are worse than simply revoking a POA now and getting either ALLSUP or another attorney to help you-

I had disability advocates at first. They never even answered their phones. So finally I hired a real lawyer, I had to send a letter firing the advocates to them, my lawyers, and SS.

I did this long before the ALJ though.

Firing an attorney is a little more in-depth than simply revokeing a POA. There are contract issues to contend with etc....... This is a legal question that you should discuss with a new attorney before making any decisions. If there is a way for you to do this without placing yourself in a bad legal position with the current attorney the new attorney will be able to advise you on such an action.

Good luck with your situation