Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Question Service Connected Disability.

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.




Ok. I was discharged in 1990 With service connected Disability (10% Plantor Fascitis) Was finalized in 1991. I have been receiving this since 91. So now as of 2008 I cant take it anymore and have really degenerated since and am re-opening my disability claim.

I know I have bilateral PF and its quadripaled in pain and has affected my knees,ankles and back in a very painful way. I can only stand about 15 minutes without sitting and relieving the pain which also comes from my knees and back to the point I cant even stand I cant work at my job fulltime anymore and tried a driving truck job to get off my feet and pain is just as bad with sitting all the time and it kills my back. I am very worried soon I will not be able to work at all. I have a wife and 2 kids and am really in a bind. I have no college education and am honestly hoping I will get some kind of relief from the VA.

It been a long time and I have fought to work and pull my wieght but I just cant anymore and Im only 38 years old. I called the VA and had them re-open my claim the other day and am just waiting for a letter to go up there to start the proccess. Is there anything else I should do? Or sombody else I should contact? Not sure where to go from here besides the obvious. And do I have any chance of getting the disabilty raised?

Thanks alot everybody and god bless!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Recommended Posts

Welcome to HADIT and thank you for your service to the country.

I am sorry to hear about your situation, however, you have come to the right place to get exceptional advice from the knowledgeable Vets here who have dealt with the VA for some time now.

I am unable to answer your question, but, just hang in there and someone will chime in and provide you the answers to your questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PF can become a dehabilitating condition and I posted here a few weeks ago a vet's BVA decision- the vet started out with 10%SC PF and ended up getting TDIU (the 100% rate of comp) as this disability had caused ankle,knee, hip and back involvement to the point that he could no longer work.

If you feel you should be rated higher for this-you can go to the Schedule of Ratings here at hadit and see how your medical evidence would warrant a higher rating-it would give you a leg up in showing you what you need-

"I called the VA and had them re-open my claim the other day and am just waiting for a letter to go up there to start the proccess. Is there anything else I should do? Or sombody else I should contact?"

Called them to re-open?

I never heard of that before- I suggest you formally re-open by writing them a letter stating why you feel your rating is too low and I also suggest you obtain a good service officer or vet rep to help with this.

You will need to show, via treatment records,any braces or orthopedics prescribed, any pain medication etc and any other evidence that your disability has gotten worse.But it will take a doctor's staement to state that the SC disability has caused these secondary conditions.

If you have private treatment records that will help and maybe the private doctor would prepare an IMO if you need it.

Once you file the claim formally- they will send you a VCAA letter and Election Notice-it will state what evidence they need from you- and make sure that you elect and sign and return the election notice form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Berta is right, you need to do some paperwork in-order to re-open a claim.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well First off thanks for the reply everybody. Its very helpful and very appereciated. I called the VA. They gave me a 1800 number to call and I asked how I go about reopening my claim. They are sending me the paperwork to do so via mail. Also I was told I need to take a means test. So I am also getting paperwork for that. Im sure its a ton of paperwork. I have not seen any doctors for my problems in all these years cause I have no insurance. But I recently am trying to get into our local Va outpatient clinic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The means test has to do with your personal finances.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. You don't need a means test to be treated for Service Connected Disability.

A claim or reopen of claim should include a letter to RO stating what you want and why. It seems to be more or less what you posted should help you.

Good Luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.


    You can read the forums without registering.


    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.


    Leading to:


    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?


    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.




    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines