VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question Service Connected Disability.

Rate this question

noscopes4me

Question

Ok. I was discharged in 1990 With service connected Disability (10% Plantor Fascitis) Was finalized in 1991. I have been receiving this since 91. So now as of 2008 I cant take it anymore and have really degenerated since and am re-opening my disability claim.

I know I have bilateral PF and its quadripaled in pain and has affected my knees,ankles and back in a very painful way. I can only stand about 15 minutes without sitting and relieving the pain which also comes from my knees and back to the point I cant even stand I cant work at my job fulltime anymore and tried a driving truck job to get off my feet and pain is just as bad with sitting all the time and it kills my back. I am very worried soon I will not be able to work at all. I have a wife and 2 kids and am really in a bind. I have no college education and am honestly hoping I will get some kind of relief from the VA.

It been a long time and I have fought to work and pull my wieght but I just cant anymore and Im only 38 years old. I called the VA and had them re-open my claim the other day and am just waiting for a letter to go up there to start the proccess. Is there anything else I should do? Or sombody else I should contact? Not sure where to go from here besides the obvious. And do I have any chance of getting the disabilty raised?

Thanks alot everybody and god bless!

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome to HADIT and thank you for your service to the country.

I am sorry to hear about your situation, however, you have come to the right place to get exceptional advice from the knowledgeable Vets here who have dealt with the VA for some time now.

I am unable to answer your question, but, just hang in there and someone will chime in and provide you the answers to your questions.

PF can become a dehabilitating condition and I posted here a few weeks ago a vet's BVA decision- the vet started out with 10%SC PF and ended up getting TDIU (the 100% rate of comp) as this disability had caused ankle,knee, hip and back involvement to the point that he could no longer work.

If you feel you should be rated higher for this-you can go to the Schedule of Ratings here at hadit and see how your medical evidence would warrant a higher rating-it would give you a leg up in showing you what you need-

"I called the VA and had them re-open my claim the other day and am just waiting for a letter to go up there to start the proccess. Is there anything else I should do? Or sombody else I should contact?"

Called them to re-open?

I never heard of that before- I suggest you formally re-open by writing them a letter stating why you feel your rating is too low and I also suggest you obtain a good service officer or vet rep to help with this.

You will need to show, via treatment records,any braces or orthopedics prescribed, any pain medication etc and any other evidence that your disability has gotten worse.But it will take a doctor's staement to state that the SC disability has caused these secondary conditions.

If you have private treatment records that will help and maybe the private doctor would prepare an IMO if you need it.

Once you file the claim formally- they will send you a VCAA letter and Election Notice-it will state what evidence they need from you- and make sure that you elect and sign and return the election notice form.

Well First off thanks for the reply everybody. Its very helpful and very appereciated. I called the VA. They gave me a 1800 number to call and I asked how I go about reopening my claim. They are sending me the paperwork to do so via mail. Also I was told I need to take a means test. So I am also getting paperwork for that. Im sure its a ton of paperwork. I have not seen any doctors for my problems in all these years cause I have no insurance. But I recently am trying to get into our local Va outpatient clinic.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. You don't need a means test to be treated for Service Connected Disability.

A claim or reopen of claim should include a letter to RO stating what you want and why. It seems to be more or less what you posted should help you.

Good Luck