VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Know What This Means? From My Mri

Rate this question

shmojo

Question

I finally got an MRI from the VA, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what it means. I've tried to look up some of the stuff online but it all seems to be medical greek to me.

--"There is mild degenerative disk disease at L4 L5 and L5 S1 levels. with mild narrowing of the spaces, and mild posterolateral bulging of the disks. The intervertebral disks are otherwise unremarkable. There is no displacement of dural sac or lumbar nerve roots."--

I have back pain constantly. Is this why?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Shmo,

Sounds like a familiar report that I have had in the past. Are you sc for lumbar issues? The VA may help you get care, physical therapy or something. Have you had the same reading from a IMO?

Not sure if I helped, but I sure hope the doc gives you feedback. I have had xrays, mri's and VA doc doesnt call me afterwards or set up an appointment to discuss the results. I have to search for answers, even though my lumbar issues are sc, I have 2 VA prescription meds and only get pt once a year.

Best to ya,

cg

I finally got an MRI from the VA, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what it means. I've tried to look up some of the stuff online but it all seems to be medical greek to me.

--"There is mild degenerative disk disease at L4 L5 and L5 S1 levels. with mild narrowing of the spaces, and mild posterolateral bulging of the disks. The intervertebral disks are otherwise unremarkable. There is no displacement of dural sac or lumbar nerve roots."--

Some people have pain with disc problems, some don't-why no one knows according to the MRI, its mild in nature and there are no areas where your have any nerve impingement--which is bad. It's not answer you wanted but the best you will probably get.

ruby---I would also get the cop0y of the MRI and have it read by your private radioligist or ETC--or a good chiropractor---

steve&pat

• HadIt.com Elder
There is mild degenerative disk disease at L4 L5 and L5 S1 levels.

with mild narrowing of the spaces, and mild posterolateral bulging of the disks. The intervertebral disks are otherwise unremarkable. There is no displacement of dural sac or lumbar nerve roots."--

This means that you have arthritis of the lower two intervertabral discs. This is the most common level to see this problem. The disc itself becomes dehydrated, sometimes as part of the normal aging process, sometimes it's congenital, and sometimes it's due to trauma. When the discs become dehydrated, they shrink in vertical height, which is called a "narrowing of the (disc) spaces." A bulging disc is the same as a herniated disc. Imagine the disc as a plastic donut filled with jello. If a part of the plastic gets worn thin, or if there is a constant pressure from an opposite side, it pushes the jello out throught the weak part, causing a "bulge." The disc actually bulges outward, or inward. In your case (posterolateral) it is bulging to one side at the rear. The dural sac is the fluid filled membrane that surrounds your spinal cord. If it becomes comprimised, due to a bulging disk or spinal stenosis, you will start having neurologic problems at the level of nerves affected (i.e. leg weakness, urinary/fecal incontinence). It may or may not be painful, but it usually is. I can attest to just how painful it can be. Hope this helps.

If this is due to your service, or secondary to a sc'd condition, be sure to file for it. You would be rated under dx code 5243 IVDS. It can be rated either under incapacitating episodes (doctor prescribed bed rest), or under loss of range of motion.

I'm actually awaiting a response from my claim to increase my rating. I was put out with 20% in 1991 with 10% due to my back - herniated disc. I've continued to get progressively worse and had an MRI in the spring that I submitted to the VA in my claim. It is similiar to yours --moderate severe disc degeneration L5 - S1. Annular bulge and central disc protrusion crate mild canal encroachment without significan S1 nerve root impingement. Moderate left foraminal narrowing due to spondylosis with mild left L5 nerve root impingement in the intervertebral canal. Mild annular bulges and disc desiccation L3-L4 and l4-L5 without significant nerve root impingement. Mild multilevel facet hypertrophy. The doctor's reading summarizes as "multilevel lumbar spondylosis with degenerative disc disease at L5-S1. Don't know if this helps you any but am curious if anyone out there has dealt with the same diagnosis and what the VA rating result was.

• HadIt.com Elder

All that diagnosis and fifty cents will by you is a rating diagnostic code of 5243 and a candy bar. Your actual rating percentage will be based on either incapacitating episodes, or the ranges of motion found in your C&P. If you are still able to bend over and touch the floor, you won't get more than a 10% rating.