VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Told Me To Not Use Certified Mail ! ?

Rate this question

free_spirit_etc

Question

I received my VCAA notice in June 2007. I kept asking for an extension of time to submit evidence, due to the VA NOT sending me a copy of my husband's C-file until right BEFORE that deadline - though I had requested it in June 2007.

I never heard one way or another on the extension - though I asked several times. So I DID submit the addtional evidence I HAD by CERTIFIED mail - BEFORE the deadline.

I also sent an IRIS that informed them of the certified mail being sent - and outlined what evidence I submitted - PLUS I informed them I sent them a copy (as they requested) of the Doctor Report - of which I only had the front page - and I was requesting the back page - as this is the medical report that was used to deny my claim.

We had a few more IRIS back and forth about that - They asked for the DATE of the medical report, I told them - the copy I SENT you didn't HAVE a date - THAT is one of the problems - there is NO date OR signature on the PART of the report I had.

I also informed them I had not received any decision on my request for extension - and that I had sent evidence by the one year deadline - but still wanted an extension for an IMO - AFTER the send me the rest of the doctor report.

They told me I had no active claims except for the burial claim. I have a few IRIS back and forth asking about THAT - and letting them know I had sent the evidence within one year - and I thought it would be readjudicated.

They just kept telling me that I had one year to file an NOD - but NEVER mentioned they did NOT receive the evidence I refered to (BY CERTIFIED MAIL RECEIPT NUMBER) in my IRIS.

And we played around with the getting the rest of the doctor report - again, with several IRIS about the CERTIFIED MAIL RECEIPT NUMBER. They finally said they had forwarded it to the Privacy Officer to get my a copy.

Still - No copy.

I followed up with an IRIS.

Was told they did NOT receive the copy I said I sent.

No one MENTIONED that in all the IRIS a couple months ago - when we were discussing the certified mail package I sent.

And they STILL keep telling me I have to file an NOD - and fail to acknowledge my requests to have my claim readjudicated as I sent additional evidence within one year.

SO when they said they didn't have the copy of the partial doctor report I sent - so they could find the rest of the report - I asked point blank - Do you have the OTHER evidence I sent in the SAME package. I even copied and pasted some of the previous IRIS where I had informed them that I sent the stuff - and the receipt number.

Got my response today.

"We carefully reviewed your file and we have no record of the information you submitted on 6-09-08. If you have additional information to submit, please resubmit by regular mail. It is not necessary to send it certified mail, sending certified mail does not offer any real advantage.

If you wish to appeal our decision, you have one year from the date of our notification letter to submit your Notice of Disagreement and initiate the appeals process. Submitting additional information will not start an appeal and we have not received the information you sent."

WHAT???

They are saying they do NOT have the evidence I sent by CERTIFIED mail - but now want me to resubmit it by REGULAR mail as "sending certified mail does not offer any real advantage."

What is that?

I am concerned because I sent evidence in regard to my son's disability / dependency in that packet. Now they will say they did not receive it within a year.

What is this stuff about sending it by certified mail offering no advantage?

They have lost my husband's dscharge physical. They have lost my burial claim. They have lost my father-in-law's burial claim. They have lost all the evidence I sent in June 2008 - and the copy of the parital doctor's report - and they are telling me to send things by REGULAR mail????

I am hoping that my certified mail receipt AND all the IRIS that I told them what I sent - gave them the receipt number - and they never mentioned they didn't get it until now - will help establish I DID send it.

And should they be advising vets/ dependents to NOT use certified mail (especially when they lose the certified stuff)?

Free

• Answers 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Woo Hoo! Betty my Buddy!!!!!!

(waves at Betty!)

I knew you'd have my back!!!

Free

Free,

Good to hear from you and so sorry that this is happening to you.

I would like to suggest you do as I have had to do.

I have Senator Warner fax everything for me.

They never loose a thing he sends.

I am so sorry,

Betty

• HadIt.com Elder

should they be advising vets/ dependents to NOT use certified mail (especially when they lose the certified stuff)?

Free,

if they want to run a few through the shreder now and then? than yes this is the advice to put out to veterans.

They are giving bogus information that may harm a vet down the road.

Always send returned reciept requested, even if you send a copy to your service officer.

Don't trust the DVA for good advice. They are not in business to help you obtain your benefits. That's the picture they want the public to buy, but they have many tricks including hiding, shreding of evidence or plain loosing it. The RO's that get your remands are the worst i've seen

Im rollin on this, with all...I, like John, hand deliver everything and get it stamped. Fortunately i live that close. If not, i would send cert./return receipt requested. Same with a VSO(yeteran service officer) if you go that route, and insist that the VSO return all copies sent..Stamped as Received in by the Regional Office,with the date on those records or letters. just my take, William

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know if someone has already suggested this (my attention span is as long as a gnat's pecker):

Send your first post on this subject to your US Congressman/Person/Woman/whatever and a copy to your US Senator's office.

TIME TO HOLD SOME ELECTED OFFICIALS RESPONSIBLE! After all, THEY are the ones that let this crap continue.

Tell 'em you WANT SOMETHING DONE, NOW, and that you will be willing to wait a couple of weeks before mentioning this to the LOCAL news media (you know, the news media in THEIR districts).

Be NICE, but be FIRM in your needs and expectations. Speak with their VA laison person (ever congressman and senator has one of those).

WHO KNOWS.........it darn sure can't HURT?

I don't know if someone has already suggested this (my attention span is as long as a gnat's pecker):

Send your first post on this subject to your US Congressman/Person/Woman/whatever and a copy to your US Senator's office.

TIME TO HOLD SOME ELECTED OFFICIALS RESPONSIBLE! After all, THEY are the ones that let this crap continue.

Tell 'em you WANT SOMETHING DONE, NOW, and that you will be willing to wait a couple of weeks before mentioning this to the LOCAL news media (you know, the news media in THEIR districts).

Be NICE, but be FIRM in your needs and expectations. Speak with their VA laison person (ever congressman and senator has one of those).

WHO KNOWS.........it darn sure can't HURT?

Free,

great advice from all here on the site. I believe Larry and Betty has a valid point in you contacting your congressional rep and letting them send in your documents or inquiring about your claim.

It is really terrible what they are doing to you and to think that our tax dollars are paying them to "play games" with you on whether or not they received "certified mail" just irks the hell out of me. :D