VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where To Put This?

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I wanted to know if there was a way to do a fundraiser to get MORE veterans to the hearing thing in September. I'd really like to do this, but I don't know how to go about doing something like this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many veterans I've spoken to want to go, but simply can't afford to go. I'd like to change that.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

WHat hearing?

The only House VAC hearing scheduled so far is a presentation from the American Legion-on September 11th.

Also Charles Kelley is trying to get good rate for anyone who will attend a Congressional visit with him in September-(I think he did get a good rate already from one hotel)

this is on AO, Blue Water issues-

and certainly on the proposed AO cancer bill he has worked so hard for-

Denise Nichols is getting the best hotel rate she can for anyone who can attend the Gulf War Advisory Committee meeting in DC on Sept 24,25th.

DC is very easy to get around once a hotel room is gotten-I have been there numerous times- and I think the EL takes you right to the Capitaol from just about anywhere one or near the Mall-I walked to the Capitol from the Washington Monument and the Wall -so it isnt too far and transportation costs can be cheap because of all the buses and shuttles in DC.

I dont know what hearing you mean but I am sure anyone organizing a group effort would be interested in any fundraiser plans you have.

Our local AL just had a Pig Roast fund raiser- I am sure an AL or DAV might consider this type of fund raiser to have a vet represent them in DC but I dont know exactly what hearing you mean.

The Senate and House VAC hearings are all live via PC - a vet or interested party can attempt to try to get something into the record-by contacting Chair Congressman Bob Filner (HVAC) or Senator Akaka (S VAC)and we always have time after the hearing to write or contact them about it-

Congressman Filner has come to the SVR radio show many times where I or someone else asked him some specifics regarding the hearing testimony.

I got Rich Cohen on the show (NOVA) by emailing him, a gripe about his testimony-which I read before the hearing started-

he gratiously came to the show and will be back-

and he did highlight during his testimony the stuff I griped about.

Whether we are at the S or H VAC hearings or not (and I dont know how many people they even let in) we still have ways to have input into them.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Post by Allan,

Is this what you are talking about:

Congressional Visit Proposal

What I would like to propose is a trip to DC for about 10 to 20 us made up of Blue Water, Korean DMZ, Thailand, Widows, and Vietnam Veterans, etc to include any spouses that would like to come and join with us in this effort.

The cheapest place that I know of is the Sheraton National in Arlington, VA in that area that is convenient to getting the senate and house buildings.

It looks like we could get some good rates from Sept 10 to Sept 14 that would be checking in on Wednesday and checking out Saturday morning. That would give us two days to canvass at least the VAC in the house and the senate. Glenda tried to get some prices today but without the inclusive dates they would not even discuss prices.

The plan would be to have at least six handouts with different issues concerning present bills as well as additional concerns. In addition, I would create a CD with an index handout of what is on the CD for each office with all the data I have and any data Blue Water and Thailand has such as Cheeco Report and Operation Corona Harvest formally secret documents. I would include scientists testimony and anything else I have that demonstrates what is still not being covered. With an index of the CD and the CD set up by folders it should be easy for them refer.

Anyway, I know we are not rich but I think we need to keep the pressure on and maybe some that cannot go can send in a few bucks to at least cover part of the efforts.

If anyone is available and wants to do this then please let me know ASAP so I can ASAP finalize reservations and get a quantity discount maybe about some old disabled Veterans trying to get some bills passed.

The 10th is not that far away and we have to at least communicate by e-mail in a group and get that started.

I think we need at least 10 folks minimum that are willing to walk the hallways of congress and submit our requests, flyers, and CD’s in person; make some contacts and tell them what we expect of them.

Let me know as soon as you can.

Again this is just in the planning and only a suggestion as to how to keep the momentum going.

Although, as you know with congress, it could also be a total waste of resources and time.

Thanks,

Kelley

• HadIt.com Elder

I spoke incorrectly, I am in fact, talking about the Gulf War Advisory Committee meeting. My husband is a Gulf War Veteran and there are many where I live, I live close to Fort Stewart, home of the 3rd ID.

Hve you contacted Denise Nichols?

http://gulfwarcouncil.com/gulf_war_rac_mee..._and_travel.htm

There might be flyers available and you could use them and have a fund raiser for local vets who want to attend.

It could be a raffle (ask businesses to donate stuff) or a Penny social or an enormous yard sale with proceeds to their trip-

after years of being with the local volunteer fire department (we need fund raisers for much of our fire equipment, gear, and even ambulance supplies-I found

it is actually easy to get a fund raiser going-

You need to advertise it well-free refreshments are always a draw-

and this is certainly for a good cause.

One year we spent only 100 bucks on a Penny Social-on new school supplies-from our treasury- then donated punch, coffee, and cookies- and we pulled in over 800 dollars-20 chances for 1.00 and the place was packed-

we outfitted the pumper with new top strobe lights, gave some money to a very ill fireman, and had money left over for some 3 " hosing-

this could help these vets tremendously because Denise is hoping for a large turnout and she has relentlessly pursued this cause.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just sent an email to dsnurse1@yahoo.com. I hope that was the right place. I also scheduled a meeting with the local VFW for Friday. I'm still not really sure what to do. Bake sale? Car Wash, the list goes on and on! We could do a few of these things, maybe. I'm just going to go to this meeting on Friday and shoot ideas back and forth with the VFW and see what they say. I'm also concerned about advertising this fundraiser, so I'm going to talk to them about that too. Any more suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone who lives in the Metro Savannah area who would like to participate, let me know!

Yes that is Denise Nichols-

WOW- you are really a go getter on this-

If all the VFW can do is provide some space that would be great- but they might want to do more-

such as a barbeque? pancake breakfast?

even just raffle off some nice items at their next VFW meeting-

or have a fifty fifty-

I dont know how big your locale is- here I used to make the flyers for our fund raisers and just post 2-3 in every close by village that has a store windows to post one in - as well as pay for a small ad in the Penny Savers.

Our junior firemen and women would hold annual car wash with a bake sale too-same time and place

it is amazing how many people might either donate or support in some way this type of thing-

Gulf War vets need numbers to show up just like BWVs etc-when these committees are open to the public