VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Panic Attack

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

Went into town, which is always a test of my indurence. Today was no exception. Mind you, I am in an Electric Wheelchair, I was getting on the local city transit bus, which intels that I drive my chair onto a lift and then onto the bus to be strapped into place with a four point tie down system.

Only this time, the lift only raised me up about two inches off the ground and then jammed. It was to high up to the floor of the bus for me to transfer out of my chair to take any unnecessary weight off the lift and I could not manuver the chair to give me room to exit behind me to the terminal platform. I was stuck their for 20 minutes while they tried different things to unjam the lift.

I was so panicked by that time, I grabbed the side guide rails and dragged myself up to the floor of the bus. How I did it, I could no even begin to know how. I weighed in last time at around 335lbs and I have enflaimed joints and connective tissue that cause me a considerable amount of pain, just by any movement, especially when weight is applied to the joint or stress on the connective tissue such as tendons and associated nerve fibers.

It had to be the adrenilen pumping through my system because I was so panicked, although outwardly no one seemed to notice, except for the hurculen effert it took for me to pull myself up that distance.

Is this something I should tell my Shrink? I've had panic attacts before, but none like this. Usually I get agitated and sweaty, shaking in fright. But this happened so suddenly, that I didn't realize what I had done, untll I was standing on the bus, when my legs began to shake, that I realized I was still standing. That is when I began to feel the pain and got strange looks from everyone as I popped a couple of pain pills followed up with one for inflamation and pain.

I know I'm going to feel this really bad in the morning, when my meds start to ware off and it is to soon to take anymore. The pain meds just don't seem to last between the time you take them and the time you can take them again.

I know I am rambling, but its freeked me out and I worry about what will happen the next time I get stuck on a lift. I also worry what my Shrink will think, or say, or want to give me for such times. I don't know how I will handle it if I am given yet another pill to take for yet another growing problem.

Rockhound Rider :D

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Yeah brother, talk to someone about it. That had to be a creep show to be in a situation. Especially when it washes over you and you feel it coming on and you know it and you want to take off in a hurry and get the hell away and you’re at the mercy of everything around. Yeah you should talk about it to someone you trust. I know about that mistrust you have for the VA I have a tad bit myself. If any change where made with the VA I think Mental Health should be outsourced being you can’t place your trust in someone’s hands you just met and you’re treated like a guinea pig at the same time.... Good luck brother....Rich