VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Work Stress Put Me Into Hospital

Rate this question

huskerfanfl

Question

I woke up a week and a half ago with pressure on my chest. I figured it would go away so I went to work. The pressure increased to the point of pain, dizzy spells which I have been experiencing for last 3 months got worse, so I went to the emergency room. No heart attack thank goodness, the chest pain was due to low potassium and my GERD which has worsened. They kept me in the hospital for three days, did a heart cath to make sure, and an endoscopic procedure (camera down the throat).

This is not the first time that work stress has caused me problems, although it is the first time I went to the hospital. I have told the VA psychiatrist about eariler episodes and on my recent C&P evaluation I also noted the problem which lately has manifested itself in arguing with staff and residents and the facility where I work, and actually throwing a stapler.

I am going back to work on Tuesday and will be putting in my notice making the 15th of September my last day at work. I am torn between giving the notice and just not going back but could lose accrued benefits if I do not give notice.

I asked the cardiac doctor about the dizzy spells and he just looked at me and said that it is the depression medicines that cause them. These spells have continued to worsen and am starting to get them even while sitting.

Anyway, I am thinking about filing for TDIU on the day after I resign my position. I was wondering if anyone thought that was too soon considering I am resigning for a medical condition, albeit voluntary.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I appreciate everyone's advice. I am going back to work tomorrow and will see how I react. If I get to feeling poorly again that will prove to me that it is work related. I will be sure to say exactly that to my doctors when I see them on the 11th and 12th. Hopefully we will have a discussion regarding my being employed. I do have enough money to cover expenses for a few motnhs which is also sound advice

• HadIt.com Elder

Tim:

This is a very hard thing to do. At least you are going into it with your eyes open and I really wish you the best.

On the good side you should get answers in a few months. I suggest that you spend your time off from work with something that you wanted to do but could never find the time.

Pete

• HadIt.com Elder

Tim

If you feel that your work is aggravating your conditions apply for workers compensation. I did that when I got fired. They thought they were just going to get rid of me and ended up having me on WC for two years until I got my house in order.

Well, went back to work and lasted less than a day. I filed for TDIU and SSDI

Tim

Good Luck I know the feeling. I had it out with my manger yesterday lucky I still have a Job took a week off. As long as you can put food on the table don't wory the rest will come good luck and you know your hadit family is praying for u

Jim

Thank you all for your well wishes. We can make it if we declare bankruptcy and get rid of all those "little" bills we pay. The advantage is we can get rid of one of our vehicles. We only need one since I resigned and cannot work and would sure love to get rid of the payment.

I forgot to add, I sent an IRIS inquiry to the Regional Office in Louisville letting them know the TDIU form was on the way. I am kind of hoping the last psychiatric C&P from earlier this month will be enough to grant the TDIU or get me rated at 100%

Jim,

I know just want you mean working for the state of Kentucky was strange to say the least. I would have jumped all over my boss on several occasions, but he let me run the vocational program the way I wanted.