VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea/ptsd

Rate this question

mzerousa

Question

Hello Brothers and Sisters:

I am dazed and confused. Please forgive me. Sorry for the long post.

I am 90% Service connected with Ulcers (40%), PTSD (30%) Diabetes (20%) PN both legs (20% + 20%, sec to the Diabetes), PN both arms (10% + 10%, sec to diabetes), tinnitus (10%).

Up till May 2007 had a wonderful VA Doc who I felt took care of me. He had a stroke and was replaced with a new Doc who stayed for six months and replaced with another new Doc. These new Docs gave me a feeling of getting a bum's rush out of the facility. I was unable to connect with these new VA Docs so I went to a civilian internist for a checkup. She gave me a complete physical, then asked me why the VA had not taken care of me. She suggested a battery of tests such as Chest Xray (I had been in hospital for Bronchitis and pneumonia), Sleep Apnea, complete Blood work (VA did a minor lab work) to be recommended to my VA Doc. Went to VA Doc and it started raining S_&%^$# down on me immediately. I mean like four hours wait on appt, when I complained it was politetly explained that emergencies take priority, but I did not note any emergency.

After several months in March 08 I was scheduled for a prelimany Sleep Apnea test at a local sleep center by the VA. Did it and was called several days later to come back in for a second sleep study (with a CPAP). Results of the test indicated that I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea with Restless Leg Syndrome. VA has yet to contact me regarding the results of these tests. I initiated an appointment with VA for next week. I knew this from long time ago myself but did not connect it with my other ailments, however, I did tell all the Docs even on active duty thirty years ago that I had trouble sleeping, panic attacks, Restless Legs and needed medication to sleep. Active duty Docs gave me phenobatial and librium so I could cope. Believe me, not a good scene! Yep, the VA did prescribe trazadone which I took for a while and then quit because I could not handle the effects. It didn't seem to help.

Now the question(s): I have appointment with Regular VA Doc soon. How should I approach this from the point of connecting it with my SC diabilities? Should it be secondary or should it be an aggravated condition to one of the other SC conditions(PTSD, ulcers, diabetes)? I have an appointment with my VA Head shrinker in two weeks. Should I try to get him to recognize it as secondary or aggravated to my PTSD?

Please, my memory and cognitive skills are shot. I am confused about what I read in the other messages. Need help. Thanks for your comments, recommendations. Thank you for your service to our Nation. Sorry for the long post.

mzero

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Hello Brothers and Sisters:

I am dazed and confused. Please forgive me. Sorry for the long post.

I am 90% Service connected with Ulcers (40%), PTSD (30%) Diabetes (20%) PN both legs (20% + 20%, sec to the Diabetes), PN both arms (10% + 10%, sec to diabetes), tinnitus (10%).

Up till May 2007 had a wonderful VA Doc who I felt took care of me. He had a stroke and was replaced with a new Doc who stayed for six months and replaced with another new Doc. These new Docs gave me a feeling of getting a bum's rush out of the facility. I was unable to connect with these new VA Docs so I went to a civilian internist for a checkup. She gave me a complete physical, then asked me why the VA had not taken care of me. She suggested a battery of tests such as Chest Xray (I had been in hospital for Bronchitis and pneumonia), Sleep Apnea, complete Blood work (VA did a minor lab work) to be recommended to my VA Doc. Went to VA Doc and it started raining S_&%^$# down on me immediately. I mean like four hours wait on appt, when I complained it was politetly explained that emergencies take priority, but I did not note any emergency.

After several months in March 08 I was scheduled for a prelimany Sleep Apnea test at a local sleep center by the VA. Did it and was called several days later to come back in for a second sleep study (with a CPAP). Results of the test indicated that I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea with Restless Leg Syndrome. VA has yet to contact me regarding the results of these tests. I initiated an appointment with VA for next week. I knew this from long time ago myself but did not connect it with my other ailments, however, I did tell all the Docs even on active duty thirty years ago that I had trouble sleeping, panic attacks, Restless Legs and needed medication to sleep. Active duty Docs gave me phenobatial and librium so I could cope. Believe me, not a good scene! Yep, the VA did prescribe trazadone which I took for a while and then quit because I could not handle the effects. It didn't seem to help.

Now the question(s): I have appointment with Regular VA Doc soon. How should I approach this from the point of connecting it with my SC diabilities? Should it be secondary or should it be an aggravated condition to one of the other SC conditions(PTSD, ulcers, diabetes)? I have an appointment with my VA Head shrinker in two weeks. Should I try to get him to recognize it as secondary or aggravated to my PTSD?

Please, my memory and cognitive skills are shot. I am confused about what I read in the other messages. Need help. Thanks for your comments, recommendations. Thank you for your service to our Nation. Sorry for the long post.

mzero

Brother,

If a psychologist know's you're rated for PTSD, normally they, if their worth their pay, know that Sleep Apnea (OSA) can be a secondary issue to PTSD. (Many won't connect that dot, unless you mention it and/or they've had a sleep study done!)

However, just for your info and to help you, you will need the complete study, from a sleep lab and their opinion-to make sure the OSA isn't genetic.

Just tell them about your sleeping issues during the military and that you're a combat vet, all the meds you take, tell them you're diagnosed with PTSD and that you've had sleeping problems since__ you insert that date.

Tell them you've been informed that Sleep apnea can be associated with PTSD and ask them to give their "expert medical opinion" on your condition.

Once they confirm and give that to you, show it to your shrink and see if he/she too will give you a confirmation that the Sleep Apnea is secondary to PTSD.

Submit that documentation and it should grant you service connection for SLeep Apnea, secondary to PTSD. Without a problem or stress.

Hope this helps.

Whoop