Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Another Claim Question On Hearing

tom91
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

ANother question on my hearing claim. In 1991 my rating docs state the following:

Exams in xx 1986 and xx 1986 show veterans hearing to be within normal limits. Discharge exame of xx1991 shows hearing to be within normal limits within the speech range for which service connection can be granted. It goes on to say: Service connection for hearing loss must be disallowed as the veteran's hearing is shown to be within normal limits, for which service connection can be established.

Are these comments not contradicting? Should they have not given me sc rating?

The exame dated in 1991 by the Army states - service member demonstrates hearing loss and needs further evalution. I have the audio tests results from the exam but not sure how to read the findings.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When I started getting involved with my claims, I took the info by an audiologists office. It was about opening time and there were no cars in the parking lot. I was fortunate enough to find a friendly person who had the time to help me. He explained the graphs and readings.

For the rest you'll need the graphs in the CFR.

The audio Schedule for ratings will show you how they rate per the decibels etc- and also any BVA case re: hearing loss might show what I mean too-

that sure is conflicting info in your service records.

I wonder if the Army even did an exam for you- that fully covered the decibels, whisper tests, etc etc or if they just asked if you could hear them talk ?

I actually have a copy of the exam but can't make heads or tails of their findings...as far as the audio readings. The doctor note written states that hearing loss I demonstrate hearing loss and need further evaluation -- which never happened.

If you go to 4.85 :

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html#f

it might help you decifer the hearing report- can you cover the personal stuff and scan it and attach it here?

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_85.DOC

this might help decifer that audio report or can you scan it and cover

Thanks Berta, I'll take a look at it. Spoke to the regional office today and found out the letter of my rating on all claims was sent out today. They have not denied the portion for my hearing but want me to have another audio exam -- not sure if it can be a private doctor or theirs. I plan to get it done asap. Any idea after that how long it takes by chance? Since it isn't an appeal (not yet anyway).

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>