VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I Being Rushed By The Va?

Rate this question

OldDave

Question

I'm new to this so please excuse my errors. I'm a 62 yr old Vietnam vet who just learned that the diabetes I was diagnosed with in the late 1980's is service connected. In 1998 I had a heart attack. I'm trying to make the connection that the heart disease is secondary to DMII. I applied in July and at the beginning of August received the letter from the VARO with the form I needed to sign and return requesting an additional 30 days to submit evidance. That is not enough time to get the medical opinons I will need to prove my case. I plan to submit my own argument along with data from the internet before the 30 days are up. When I am denied, I'll get the medical data I need and file an appeal. That will give me up to a year. Does this make sense to anyone?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I want to thank all of you for your help and encouragement. It is good not to feel alone.

Berta, thanks for your advice. Yes, I still work. No, I havn't been turned down by the VA yet. I WAS a smoker, have had hypertension for as long as I've had DMII and my Dad had 3 heart attacks before he finally died of kidney failure. However, all of the research I've done still seems to say that even allowing for all of the other risk factors, people with DMII are between 2 to 4 times more likely to have a heart attack than non-diabetics. I'm sure the VA will make every effort to deny the connection. I wish you well and good luck with your battle.

One more thing. Doing the research on DMII and CAD is awful depressing. I saw some statistics that indicated I should have been dead years ago. However, 20 years with DMII and 10 years following a heart attack and I'm not only still kicking but kicking with all four of my limbs, not on insulin and work 40 hrs a week. Regardless of how my claim goes, I think I must be luckier than most.