VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Active Close To Retirement

Rate this question

Navy Chief

Question

Have a question that someone out there may now something about??

Graft removal in Mouth?? Need to know how to proceed with this..

One question I have is I had a graft removed from the inside of my mouth for use in construction in another part of my body. The graft removed a big portion of the inside of my cheek . I have extremely tight skin on the inside of my mouth which causes me trouble eating and keeping saliva from pooling on inside of my mouth. It not only hurts when I eat I also have to continue to swallow all the time or I will drool. I know this sounds a little strange but I had a few hundred stitches in the inside of the mouth and I have to live with this all the time How would I even get this explained in my record for some type of procedure or is this just something that is non reportable. or I can't claim it Just wondering how to even go about this ordeal.

The skin was used for bladder surgery and not a lot of information about my mouth is in the report which now bothers me all th time.

Thanks for any help.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Chief it is an odd claim. I have never had to deal with a similar one. However you state the graft was for bladder surgery. I would also look into filing for that, and it's residuals. I'd want the diagnosed injury to the bladder, so I would know where to start with it, if I were you.

Bob Smith

Chief it is an odd claim. I have never had to deal with a similar one. However you state the graft was for bladder surgery. I would also look into filing for that, and it's residuals. I'd want the diagnosed injury to the bladder, so I would know where to start with it, if I were you.

Bob Smith

Thank you, It actually caused uncontrollable bladder after everything said and done with Ed. But I still have the mouth issue to deal with every day. I figured it would be a hard one. I thought it could be claimed sorta like a scar but I really don't know where to go from here on the issue but I will say it defiantly reminds every second of the day that I have a issue with even talking or just a normal day to day.

Thanks this is a really great place to learn about the whole process

Do you know any good VA rep around Jacksonville FL to help with a claim..

Daniel

Chief,

Welcome.

Are the problems with your bladder a service connected or part of a service connected disability ?

If not, then is the bladder problem a result of a service connected disability, which would make the

bladder problem service connected as a secondary disability ?

I'm just starting with that issue first.

Hey Chief,

I just went back through and read all your posts made so far and now realize you are still active duty

so there of course would be no service connection yet.

I would like to send you a PM (private message) with a couple of questions that pertain to your medical

conditions, but are quite personal. The PM message system is located just underneath the Hadit Header

at the top of the page. Let me know if this would be OK with you.

carlie

Edited by carlie
additional information

It looks to me that the bladder residuals would have to be rated by the Military-if you are getting a medical discharge but it appears you are getting a regular discharge-

if a regular discharge the bladder condition and any residuals should be carefully documented on your exit physical- make sure they note the mouth problems as those are residuals that are directly due to the inservice bladder problems.(as secondary conditions)

You will be getting some transition briefings and there will be one with the VA as to filing claims etc-

dont leave the Navy without copy of your complete SMRS and a proper discharge certificate and file a claim ASAP as to both the inservice bladder problems and the residuals from that and also claim the mouth problems as secondary and tell them how the VA used the graft for bladder repair yet the graft itself has left you with disability.