VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Benefits & Chap 35

Rate this question

purple

Question

Hey All....

Since I rarely believe what the folks at the VARO 1-800 # tell me, I figure I'd ask here. When my oldest son started college and began receiving his Chap 35 benefits for school tuition....the VA stopped his dependent benefits. They said they are the same thing and that he can't "double dip".

Really?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Right- as far as I know- he is no longer your dependent-if enrolled in college and 18 years of age

The only time my kids got DEA 35 and still was on my compensation was when he was under 18 (that last 3 months). Now I have a 19 year old and we get extra compensation, until he starts college in January (he is cyber school HS).

• HadIt.com Elder

You would definately lose the monthly comp after the 18th birthday, but if they are going to college under the chapter 35 benefits, I believe they should still have access to ChampVA unitl they either graduate from college or reach the age of 22 while still enrolled in school. Someone correct me if I am mistaken on that.

Yes, he still receives his ChampVA....but they don't make it easy at all!! Every quarter....yup, every quarter the lovely VA ppl (insert sarcasm here) want a letter from the University verifying his enrollment and if it isn't exactly, down to the letter what they want, signed by a certain school official (like they don't have better things to do)....they deny it and he goes without insurance until they are satisfied.

Even the Chap 35 ppl aren't that picky and they are handing out the big bucks!!!!!

Grrr.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

I have a 21 y/o son who cut the cord with me at 18 y/o, and did not want anything to do with the VA lol! I'm trying to gr0om my 13 y/o daughter for College on CHAPTER 35.

I also need to clarify VA Rules, please someone, correct me if I'm wrong:

I undertsand that --in the case of death of the veteran, their dependents must elect either Chapter 35 OR DIC; so that if the child elects Chapter 35, and the veteran dies while the dependant is going to school, that child can not also collect DIC . . .

I don't know, in that case it sounds like the kid would have to support his or herself while going to college, right?! I better hang in there a few more years!!

~Wings