VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd, Other Sites, Researching To File

Rate this question

fanaticbooks

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I seem to answer a lot of different topics with areas I found useful. I am creating this topic because I would like all the sites in one spot for easy access to those who need it.

As a brief intro, I am a secretary who researched, organized and assembled an SSD claim the second time my hubby applied and he got SSD within 5 months. I utilized the same techniques I mention in my website...but just adapted it to SSD. The following info covers the basics I did:

I bought a book entitled, "How to Get SSI & Social Security Disability: An Insider's Step-by-Step Guide" by Mike Davis. It helped me understand a little better what went on in the SS agency.

I discovered that part of the problem was my hubby's job title. THE SS relies on the Dept. of Labor's descriptions of occupations. It turned out that what he did covered 5 job descriptions none titled what he was called at work.

What it took for us was for me to take his job descriptions from the Dept. of Labor and another online site also, break it down as to all the things he could not now do and why, with medical info to back it up. Plus I had to research on those sites any jobs similar to the one he held in the designated time frame SS requires to see if he was capable of doing those.

- When you assemble your documentation, try to address all facets of the details involved in doing your job.

- Bring up personal reasons (including working with others) that might be negative. Include medicine side effects as well as medical records that support your claim.

- Do the same for any other jobs you have held over the years.

- Try to find similar jobs that SS may say you are capable of doing and give reasons why you can't.

As a possible help, refer to my website for VA claims assembly. I adapted my organizing and assembling from it into the SSD application attachment. I also used the Medlineplus site to check side effects of meds as well as the disabilities themselves.

Here are the links I used for research:

PART 416--SUPPLEMENTAL

SECURITY INCOME FOR THE AGED, BLIND, AND DISABLED

U.S. DEPT. OF LABOR

O*NET ONLINE

Medlineplus.gov (a great medical reference tool)

SOCIAL SECURITY ONLINE, The official website

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com (my website)

As a final note, when I mentioned above about addressing all facets of the job, I treated the research as I did on my website for highlighting the VA disability schedule (translated to DOL's & O*NET's listings) and then organizing as I found my proofs in my hubby's documents. My website goes on to explain how to put them in order for submission.

Research, organizing and assembling to create a whole means...find information for a topic that then connects to documentation which, when combined, creates a word picture for each subject. The more explanation and documentation, the better the picture for those who look at it. The more detail, the better the viewer grasps the whole.

Hope this helps.

Nancy B)

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

SSA gives you a self-report sort of work sheet. It asks what you can do and what you can't do. It behooves you to say you can't do much of anything unaided. This is something they are going to use agaist you if you say that you can mow your yard or wash your car. Think basketcase! I would say that my spouse takes care of everything for me since I can't even wash the dishes.

• HadIt.com Elder
SSA gives you a self-report sort of work sheet. It asks what you can do and what you can't do. It behooves you to say you can't do much of anything unaided. This is something they are going to use agaist you if you say that you can mow your yard or wash your car. Think basketcase! I would say that my spouse takes care of everything for me since I can't even wash the dishes.

I have to agree. Only if the SSD can find NO OTHER job that you can do will they declare you disabled. Do not leave out any symptoms that affect your ability to work. It could make a difference.

fanaticbooks

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com

• HadIt.com Elder

Another important point is to get a good IMO from an Occupational Doc. A good doc will tell you that there are things you can do, You just cant do them them over and over again.

Point number 2: SSA is very good and treats prople a lot better than the VA. The Bad part of Social Security is not even Federal Employees. It is your own states DDS department where the denials come from.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

A site that was pointed out to me in another topic by "Ricky" sounds kind of good. I am posting his topic here as well as the site he mentions. Maybe it too will help someone.

Ricky's posting: http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry110992

Site he found: http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/alabama_ssdi_ssi.html

Seems a lot of good info that can be adapted to any state.

fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

Here's another site from this forum. It too sounds good so am putting it here so I won't lose it amongst others.

JG20 topic: http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21005

Site he found: http://www.disabilityappeal.com/

hope it helps

fanaticbooks