VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Evaluation

Rate this question

tom91

Question

Another question regarding my recent claims and results -

My claims were for r/l knee, back, tinnitus/hearing loss. The listing of my various doctor's I provided to the VA also included the multiple psychiatrists that have treated me for bipolar. Today, I received an appt. notice for compensation/pension exam at the VA PACS (Psychiatry Ambulatory Care Svs) facility. At this point I had not included a claim to mental illness...?

My exams done in preparation for discharge did not include a mental evaluation. Anyone know if it was required? Could they perhaps have noted their failure to do so and recognize the error?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It would appear that they have inferred a claim for comp regarding your MH condition. Is this condition tied to your time in service, or one of your service connected conditions?

The only relation I could see would be my serving in the Gulf War. Not to say the deteriation on my other ailments doesn't further impact it.

Were they have given me a mental eval at discharge?

• HadIt.com Elder

A very brief one that probably just states what your state of mind at the time was. If your diagnosed condition is bipolar disorder, and it did not initially present itself while you were in the service, then I wouldn't look for much out of this. If you can get the dx changed to a mood disorder due to a medical condition, then you've got a good shot. The thing in your favor on a dx change is that the two diagnoses are similiar. The main difference between them is that the mood disorder doesn't have episodes of being energetic and overly enthusiastic. You would be pretty much flat all the time with a mood disorder. If you're bipolar, then you range from behaving normally, to being elated enough to forgoe sleep, to being bottomed out with depression.

• HadIt.com Elder
Another question regarding my recent claims and results -

My claims were for r/l knee, back, tinnitus/hearing loss. The listing of my various doctor's I provided to the VA also included the multiple psychiatrists that have treated me for bipolar. Today, I received an appt. notice for compensation/pension exam at the VA PACS (Psychiatry Ambulatory Care Svs) facility. At this point I had not included a claim to mental illness...?

My exams done in preparation for discharge did not include a mental evaluation. Anyone know if it was required? Could they perhaps have noted their failure to do so and recognize the error?

If you were treated for a mental health condition while active duty, there should have been some notation on your Army Discharge Physical Exam. Do you have a copy of your service medical records? If the reasons for your discharge involved your mental disorder, then a mental status examination was mandatory.

Otherwise, do try to prepare yourself for the mental examination and make the claim a formal claim; in other words, roll with the punches!

How long have you been home? Some psychiatric conditions (psychosis comes to mind) are presumed related to active service in the theatre of operations . . . More on this information if you need it! ~Wings

I've been out for about 17 years. I've got copies of my medical records. There was no mention, nor do I recall, any reference to it. My ex and I had a couple of incidents that required MP's to come to the house. Bipolar has extensive mood swings and at that time, had not been diagnosed. All it took was something very minor to set me off -- still would if I didn't take my meds.

Wouldn't you think that if the VA felt I was not eligible for sc related, they wouldn't have me scheduled for an exam? I don't know...this has really baffled me.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you mean outbursts of anger by the term "set me off," and you do not have periods of elation, then you are not bipolar. You have a mood disorder, my friend, and that is easily attributed to service connected conditions by your VAMC MH doctor. When you get the dx from the doc, then you can get it sc'd fairly easily. Get to work... B)