VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Evaluation

Rate this question

tom91

Question

Another question regarding my recent claims and results -

My claims were for r/l knee, back, tinnitus/hearing loss. The listing of my various doctor's I provided to the VA also included the multiple psychiatrists that have treated me for bipolar. Today, I received an appt. notice for compensation/pension exam at the VA PACS (Psychiatry Ambulatory Care Svs) facility. At this point I had not included a claim to mental illness...?

My exams done in preparation for discharge did not include a mental evaluation. Anyone know if it was required? Could they perhaps have noted their failure to do so and recognize the error?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Do you think the fact that VA has treated me since 1994, only three years following discharge, play a factor? Maybe promising? What led to me going at that time was thoughts of suicide. Further, I've been treated consistently since then.

read this info about "nexus"

http://www.tpromo2.com/usvi/advocate/two.htm

http://www.tpromo2.com/usvi/advocate/three.htm

Rental is correct. If you happen upon a diagnosis of depressive mood disorder with anxiety and panic attacks due to your physical disabilities then a mental claim should be fairly easy. However, PTSD is also another route as it can manifest many years after the incidents occured - however, it will be much harder.

At any rate you are going to have to have a new diagnosis since the current one is bi-polar.

• HadIt.com Elder

Being treated by VA is not the same as being rated by VARO. There are over 5 million Veterans being treated by VA who do not get a check.

John is right- it took a vet friend of mine 12 years to get SC for bi polar.

the retro was enormous but this took a toll on him-

it was his service personnel records that finally got him service connected.I sent him the SF 180 many times but he kept forgetting to word it the way I stated to him to word the SF 180 and Finally he sent it in and it produced -along with his medical evidence -the chronicity and inservice nexus to his bi polar.

If you were exposed to incoming(Scuds)and can prove it that could be considered a stressor-possibly-by the VA

"forward support battallion" if you can get the unit history or morning reports and your MOS puts you there- along with a PTSD diagnosis you could have a potential valid PTSD claim.

All the advise here is good-

what is your exact diagnosis?

I don't have copies of my medical records for the time periods the VA has treated me, nor those of my private psychiatrist I was seeing. All they have indicated to me was bi-polar. The VA dr. has said that I have all the symptoms of PTSD but because I 'ramble' when I talk, it would be considered bipolar vs. PTSD.

You need to get those copies ASAP! Trust me, what a VA doc tells you, and what they actually write in your records can be two completely different things!!

Every quarter get the previous quarter's copies of all of your medical & mental health records so you always have a current copy. Never rely on what the VA tells you.