VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Evaluation

Rate this question

tom91

Question

Another question regarding my recent claims and results -

My claims were for r/l knee, back, tinnitus/hearing loss. The listing of my various doctor's I provided to the VA also included the multiple psychiatrists that have treated me for bipolar. Today, I received an appt. notice for compensation/pension exam at the VA PACS (Psychiatry Ambulatory Care Svs) facility. At this point I had not included a claim to mental illness...?

My exams done in preparation for discharge did not include a mental evaluation. Anyone know if it was required? Could they perhaps have noted their failure to do so and recognize the error?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ask them for ALL of your inservice military records-

and -if you believe it would help- ask them for ALL of your military personnel records to include any types of disciplinary actions.

In my friend's case-he did Brig time because he woke up one day on board ship and thought he was he was an Admiral-he exhibited some very bizarre behavior-which was documented in his personnel records as to the discipline report.

We proved (and one of his VA doctors agreed) that this was the first manifestation of bi polar he had, in service.

He VA doctor's statement was not very strong but we supported it with evidence of the key features of manic bi polar,compared to his brig incident- and the fact that the Navy -when this incident occurred in the 1960s -knew nothing about bi polar.

I agree with Berta as far as In-service millitary records. In my case, my sudden drop in military performance(3.6) too (1.0) and brig x2 in 3months is being used to consider my personal assault(2) (while on/off board ship) PTSD/Depression claim. All contained in my records.My Congressman was instrumental in getting me those records in 12 days,i said wow!!! Good Luck, William

Edited by william n

Just came across the below paragraph in the VA handbook -

Gulf War Vets: may receive disability comp for chronic disabilities from undiagnosed illnesses......undiagnosed illness must have appeared during act svc in Sthwst Asia Tht of Op during Gulf War or to a degree of atleast 10% at any time since through 12/31/11. Examples include.....neuropsychological systems, sleep disturbances, etc.

The two examples above I have. Am I understanding this to mean that even if it was not in my files, it can be claimed at this time?

Anybody know the answer to my previous question re; paragraph related to Gulf War vets? Looks like I can make a claim whether or not there is anything to support it in my files...?