VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mood Disorder And Ptsd

Rate this question

trez

Question

i am currently 70% for mood disorder i have asked for an increase

and i have a ptsd claim pending

my question is can i be rated separately for ptsd and the mood dis order

if they giv me 100% for ptsd is that considered a schedular 100%

and can you work if you get a schedular 100%

thx

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You can only be rated for one Mental Health Disability - Va is supposed to provide the highest rating percentage available based on the Medical Evidence as per 38 CFR - Part 4

NO.

If the claimant is granted a 100% Disability due to SC'd conditions that are solely due to

Mental Health issues then yes that would be considered a 100 % schedular rating.

You can be employed and work but only if the 100 % schedular rating is not due solely to Mental Health Disability.

thx

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

thx

Give that PTSD your postive energy: get it service connected, if you can!

Even though the VARO will not compensate more than one "mental disorder", remember that a mental disorder may be caused by, or contribute to, or further aggravate MEDICAL CONDITIONS.

Now or in the future, your Mood Disorder and/or your PTSD may contribute to heart conditions, high blood pressure, housebound status, cognative impairment, and the like. The medical condition in this case scenerio would be called a "secondary medical condition" (secondary to your service-connected mental disorder).

It is important to service-connect all medical and mental health conditions that can be linked to your military service, even if the rating is 0% or non-compensatable.

~Wings

~Wings

Vet,

Anytime you get a 100% rating for a mental disorder, you can forget working.

VA is saying, "due to your mental conditions, you can't handle the stress or hold it together long enough to maintain ANY type of gainful employment!"

Since your current rating is 70% for the mood disorder, you next stop will more than likely be the 100% for either the mood disorder alone or including the PTSD, either way, you can forget working.

If you can work, then YOU ARE NOT correctly rated at 100%-for a mental disorder and need to inform the VA of such, so they can correctly rate you and you can work all you want, legally!

All you have to do is look at the rating schedule for mental disorders, such as since you mentioned it PTSD. The category you fall in, versus what VA says the category is for the 100%.

Look at your GAF score and the impairments va state you have and what all you can't do.

Hope this helps.

Whoop

Trex - you will only get ONE RATING for a mental disorder in accordance with the general rating schedule for mental disorder. I have followed your posts on this and other topics. My friend you need to slow down a bit and take it easy on this IU verus schedular thing. If you want to work then work for it is a soothing therapy for many but for those that suffer a mental condition it can be a nightmare.

I am confused about your current rating but if you are IU receiving 100% comp then relax a bit, get your life together and GET TREATMENT(the most important). Once you get your life together and feel you can work then look for and accept employment that you think you can handle.

However, on your IU verus schedular relax. I understand that it is hard to support a family on IU but if you can not work then you can not work. Seek SSDI and try some hobbies to fill your days. If you are married I am sure your family will accept your disabilities and support your actions by trimming down the lifestyle to survive within your income limitations or the wife might just be willing to step up and seek a career that will allow you to increase your family income and up your lifestyle. There is always a way if you are willing to travel up the road needed to get there. If you don't agree with anything I have said that is fine I just pray that you will remember one thing this ole bald headed fool said - If you are sick, disabled and or suffer from a mental issue TREATMENT is always the most important thing in your life that might just increase your personal quality of life!!!!!!!

Give that PTSD your postive energy: get it service connected, if you can!

Even though the VARO will not compensate more than one "mental disorder", remember that a mental disorder may be caused by, or contribute to, or further aggravate MEDICAL CONDITIONS.

Now or in the future, your Mood Disorder and/or your PTSD may contribute to heart conditions, high blood pressure, housebound status, cognative impairment, and the like. The medical condition in this case scenerio would be called a "secondary medical condition" (secondary to your service-connected mental disorder).

It is important to service-connect all medical and mental health conditions that can be linked to your military service, even if the rating is 0% or non-compensatable.

~Wings

~Wings

what im worried about is im on iu but im am currently finishing my comp and pension exams for like 6 other documented service injuries 3 of them have ime from doctor bash thst cost me like 5000

if i get my mood disorder increased to 100 or they grant me ptsd for 100 can i still get a schedular 100 on top of ptsd or mood disorder 100% and go back to work with the ptsd or mood 100% plus the other new ratable scs that hopefully will get me to 100% schedular??? not that i wouldn't but if work did become available after i got a schedular 100% if i get a 100% mental rating will that leave me on iu or will i be granted schedular 100%??????

plus dav told me if i get schedular 100% i still have time left on my voc-rehab clock and i should file for re-entry and take advatage of my left over entitlement i would like to get my masters degree thats what the dav nso told me he said if voc rehab

hassles me dav will help me file an appeal

im 50 and im just going with the flow. My old voc-rehab counsler and i hated each other he would show up at my college because he had to fill out paper work when i had to request help for computer classes he use to say to me ya know i really want to kick you out of this program your making me do a lot of paper work

i truly i truly dread the thought of having to walk in to this mans office and file a voc rehab re entry for a masters degree and be interogated by this guy like the first time i went into voc rehab oh he is truly truly a miserable miserable human being and every body in the world knows this guy if he sees me come in his office its gonna be like when dorthy went to see the wizard

of ozz the dav tells me dont worry about him we'll back ya up?? hum i have doubts but any way im trying to make something of myself

what do you think about this