Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Spaca Avaiable Flights

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.




i heard from a friend that space available flights might be opened up to disabled vets

is this true???? thx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

I agree with Viet Nam tanker. I read the Army Times weekly and several other military publications on a monthly basis and I haven't seen anything about changing the Space A rules.

However, that idea has tremendous merit in my opinion.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

A couple of Congressmen put up a Bill to do this every session of Congress but it never foes anywhere DOD is against it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Space Available Flight Eligibility

The following is a partial listing of eligible individuals and their category of travel. In Space A terms, your "category" of travel is your priority. The numerical order of space-available categories indicates the precedence of movement between categories; e.g., travelers in Category III move before travelers in Category IV.

You are placed in one of these six categories based on a combination of two criteria: your status (for example, active duty Uniformed Services member, DoDDS teacher, etc.), and your situation (for example, emergency leave, and ordinary leave, etc.).

Once accepted for movement, a space-available passenger may not be "bumped" by another space-available passenger, regardless of category.

A complete listing of eligible passengers by category is contained in DoD 4515.13-R.

Category I - Emergency travel on a round-trip basis in connection with serious illness, death, or impending death of a member of the immediate family of the following:

  • United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD stationed overseas.
  • Full-time, paid personnel of the American Red Cross serving with United States military Services overseas.
  • Uniformed Service family members whose sponsors are stationed within the continental United States (CONUS) and the emergency exists overseas.
  • Family members of United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD when both sponsor and dependents are stationed overseas at the same location.
  • Uniformed Service family members when accompanied by their sponsor may travel within the continental United States (CONUS) if the emergency exists in the CONUS.

    • Sponsors on environmental and morale leave (EML) and accompanied family members. Military personnel must also be on ordinary leave. Any other type leave such as convalescent or overseas tour extension incentive program (OTEIP) with EML is not authorized.
    • DoD Dependent School (DoDDS) teachers and their accompanied family members in EML status during school year holiday, vacation periods or employer-approved training during recess periods.

      • Members of the uniformed services in an ordinary or reenlistment leave status and uniformed Services patients on convalescent leave. Members on convalescent leave may not travel overseas unless their leave form is so annotated.
      • Military personnel traveling on permissive temporary duty (TDY) orders for house hunting.
        • If the permissive TDY is for the purpose of permanent change of station house hunting, the member travels in Category III, may travel within the continental United States (CONUS) as well as international travel, and may be accompanied by one family member.
        • Bona fide family members (with a valid identification card) of a Service member of the uniformed Services when accompanied by their sponsor who is in an ordinary leave status within overseas areas between overseas stations and air terminals in the CONUS.

        • This privilege does not apply to travel of dependents to or from a sponsor's restricted or unaccompanied tour location or to travel in a leave status to or from TDY locations. It applies only to round-trip travel to an overseas area or the CONUS with the sponsor. DoD 4515.13-R restricts use of these privileges to establish a home for family members in an overseas area or the CONUS.
        • Foreign exchange service members on permanent duty with the DoD, when in a leave status.

        Category IV - Unaccompanied dependents on EML:

        [*]Unaccompanied family members (18 years or older) traveling on EML orders. Family members under 18 must be accompanied by an adult family member who is traveling EML.

        [*]DoDDS teachers or family members (accompanied or unaccompanied) in an EML status year round.

        Category V - Permissive Temporary Duty and students:

        [*]Students whose sponsor is stationed in Alaska or Hawaii.

        [*]Military personnel traveling on permissive TDY orders for other than house hunting.

        [*]Command sponsored dependents (18 years of age) of Uniformed Services members who are stationed overseas may travel unaccompanied from the sponsor's PCS duty location to the CONUS and return. Travel is also authorized within the overseas theater. Travel cannot be between two overseas theaters (i.e., from Germany to Panama or from Japan to England). Dependents must have command sponsored documentation signed by the Commander verifying command sponsorship.

        Category VI - Retirees:

        [*]National Guard/Reserve components/members of the Ready Reserve and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the Active Status List.

        [*]Retired military members who are issued DD Form 2 and eligible to receive retired or retainer pay.

        [*]Family members (with a valid identification card) of retired members when accompanied by a sponsor.

        If you are unsure of which category you fit in, please refer to DoD 4515.13-R, Chapter 6, Table 6.1 for a complete explanation of each category.

Edited by Ron II
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.


    You can read the forums without registering.


    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.


    Leading to:


    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?


    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.




    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines