VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psych Doc @ The Va

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My husband and I have asked for a MEDICAL OPINION from the treating psychiatrist several times. Each time we ask, he says he will evaluate. He gives us PROGRESS NOTES. No opinion. The only thing that could be an opinion is the GAF score (averages 50). What can I do to get his OPINION and not him restating what my husband says?!

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Has the psychiatrist made a formal diagnosis? and does your husband have a proven nexus to his service for the diagnosis?

Not sure what point you are at here in the claims process-but- if your husband has filed for SC for any mental issue, the VA will set him for a C & P (the PTSD exam is extensive) and it is the C & P doctor's opinion that will carry much weight with VA.

"What can I do to get his OPINION and not him restating what my husband says?!"

His opinion whether your husband's problems are due to his service are just that -an opinion-whether he states that or not-

unless he was an eye witness to the stressor (if this is a PTSD claim)

It is the proven nexus to his service that will connect a compensable diagnosis to an in service event that is a stressor or has caused anxiety,or depression-

in some cases-bi polar, schizophrenia- it is the behavior of the vet documented in service sometimes only in personnel records--that the mil may or may not have properly assessed and treated that-in the long run-can become the proven nexus.

Belle-

Get a copy of the medical and mental health records and see if there is anything written down that the pdoc isn't telling you. Sometimes they do that as a real dx must be documented for treatment.

If no dx is documented, go to the pt advocate for that department and tell them the problem...don't stop until you get a dx.

Good luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, I need to back up and give you some details. Here goes:

My husband was discharged from the Army for PTSD specifically, that is what his discharge is for. It is S/C, @ 50 percent (which, btw, we had to appeal to get as well, they were terrified of CUE, because the CFR says that any person discharged for a mental condition directly resulting from active duty is granted 50 percent etc, not a direct quote, but close to it). I'm in the appeals process for an increase because he has had to quit working because he can't handle working with many people. One or two people, he can deal with, but any more he can't. We are trying for an increase to 70 percent, and unemployability until he gets through with his schooling (under chapter 31). His classes are very small; the reason we chose the school is because of the class sizes. Once he has finished school, he will be able to either work in a small office OR open his own business. So, that's a bit of the background without getting too detailed.

• HadIt.com Elder

The 50 GAF would support 70% with TDIU. Going to school is rehab and should not count for or against. The Docs do not like to help Veterans with claims they think it gets them in trouble with management.

Since your husband is already diagnosed and being paid for PTSD there should be nothing more that you need.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

In theory, there should be nothing more. They've already denied the request for increase. We are now in the appeals process. I'm just trying to not leave a single stone unturned. Thanks to everyone who replied. I have been talking a lot about this site with everybody who will listen. You're all wonderful and I'm so grateful to have yall on our side.

The 50 GAF would support 70% with TDIU. Going to school is rehab and should not count for or against. The Docs do not like to help Veterans with claims they think it gets them in trouble with management.

Since your husband is already diagnosed and being paid for PTSD there should be nothing more that you need.

Good Luck

Maybe where you live it is worth that %.

I know a male Viet Nam Vet who received a Bronze Star with "V", with severe chronic PTSD with a GAF 50 and numerous other mental diagnoses, and they awarded him 30%. They said his cancer of the head and scalp is not AO related, and Tinnitis 10% and hearing 0% and he can't hear at all out of one ear.

Of coarse he appealed it 1 1/2 years ago and had another C&P with GAF 40 with other mental conditions and continue to receive changes to his medication, and now want him admitted to the unit for intensive therapy...

and he sits and plays the waiting game too... B)

(Had GAF's 27-48 and got 30% and appealed it and got 50%, after 4 yrs)

Maybe I need to move to Tx Pete53. Maybe this guy needs to move to Tx too.

Good Luck

Edited by halos2